I was on the road last Thursday, after a Client meeting, and I had an oDesk conference call in 3 minutes. I pulled over at the nearest strip mall, parked, pulled out my iPhone and dialed into the meeting just as someone on the call said:
“OK, I just e-mailed out the agenda. Everyone please let me know when you have it open”
So I muted the call, and pressed the home button on the iPhone, which switched me back to the main menu (the call remained connected).
Then I launched the E-mail app, and found the e-mail containing the meeting agenda. I was able to open the MS Word Document and view the agenda while still on the call.
About two minutes in, someone on the call asked me a question:
“Henry, are you available next Tuesday at 2:00? “
“Yeah, I’m free. Want me to go ahead and send out the meeting invite?”
I created a new event, invited attendees, and sent the request out with just a few swipes of the finger. No sooner than I did that, I got an incoming call from a Friend, so I switched back to the phone, and with one click was able to put the conference call on hold while I took the new inbound call.
“Hey, I’m on a conference call, can you text me?”
I hung up the phone, and switched back to the MS Word Document, and a few seconds later I got a pop-up window with a text message:
“Hey want to meet for drinks later?”
So I responded affirmatively, wrapped up the conference call, and then:
- Made a few oDesk Blog updates in the WordPress app (review, review)
- Did a few Client Twitter updates with Tweetie (review, review),
- Logged my hours for the day in Minibooks (review, review) and in my oDesk Work Diary (in the Safari Browser App)
- Logged my To Do items in Remember the Milk (review, review)and EnCamp (review, review), the best third-party Basecamp app)
- Put Slacker Radio (review, review) on the headphones (near-flawless free streaming radio)
- Sent IM's to all of my clients with the Skype app (review, review)and Bejive app (review, review), a multi-client IM tool, to see if anything else was needed for the day
- Plugged the address for the restaurant into the TomTom GPS app (review, review), and headed for the Bar
- Well, I actually might have gotten in a quick game of Tap Tap Revenge 2 (review, review) first (the most addicting game ever created)
All in a days work, and in the palm of my hand!
What are your favorite apps for working on the go? Please let us know by leaving a comment below!