Ahhh. At last...
"THE FREELANCER'S GUIDE TO GETTING ON THE NICE LIST"
• Sending clients a holiday greeting card = Nice List
• Sending clients a holiday greeting card but signing it "Big Poppa" because you are drinking rum-laced wassal = Naughty List
• Billing clients for a Christmas bonus on your December invoices = Naughty List*
• Updating your voicemail to let clients know your days off for the holidays = Nice List
• Taking your laptop on your ski trip in case you get snowed in and have to work from the lodge = Nice List
• Taking said laptop out into the snow on aforementioned ski trip and accidentally leaving it on the lift, where it eventually slides out and settles into an icy grave never to be seen again = Naughty List
• Participating in conference calls on your bluetooth while shopping at the mall = Naughty List
• Scheduling shopping trips carefully around work hours, so you don't have to take a conference call at the mall = Nice List
• Letting your daughter cut snowflakes out of the spreadsheet you were supposed to fax yesterday, but didn't because you were drinking leftover rum-laced wassel ... which you are still drinking = Naughty List
• Baking sugar cookies to mail to your clients while recovering from the dreaded Swine Flu = Naughty List
• Texting clients during a holiday gift exchange at your grandma's house = Naughty List
• Texting anyone during a holiday gift exchange at your grandma's house, except your grandma = Naughty List
• Using your client's iStockphoto account to create your annual Christmas e-card = Naughty List **
* But if billing your clients for a Christmas bonus actually works, be sure to let us know.
** Items on this list do not reflect actual events. (I promise.)
Working from home can either liberate you or weigh you down -- it's all about how you do it. Having worked from home for over a decade, I've learned what works and what just creates more work. Here at oDesk, you'll find the tips and tools to do it right.