Today oDesk announced that we just closed a $15 million funding round and are welcoming a new CFO, Greg Stanger. Greg is former CFO of Chegg and Expedia, and has served on the Board of Directors at Expedia, Netflix, Drugstore.com and Kayak.com. We’re all feeling part of something big, as we build the future of online work.
While preparing for these exciting announcements, we also received the results from a recent survey of our clients. We wanted to share them with you, and highlight two overall findings that are quite fascinating:
1) oDesk clients hiring via our platform are savvy
- Our clients are highly educated — 41% have a Master’s degree or beyond, and three out of four have at least a Bachelor’s degree
- They know how to guide teams — four out of five respondents have management experience
- They are early adopters — 62% categorize themselves as among the first to adopt new technologies
2) Online work is here to stay, and is viewed as a source of competitive advantage
- 76% of respondents characterized hiring remote contractors online as a long-term strategy
- 89% agree that remote work makes their business “more competitive”
- Almost as many (87%) believe that “remote hiring will soon be a common business practice”
Bottom line: Those who spot trends first and leverage them wisely reap competitive advantage, and our clients are the smart ones riding the online work trend relatively early in its evolution. That said, the market for online work is already expected to reach $1 billion by the end of this year.
We constantly hear stories from our clients about how hiring a virtual team of online workers on oDesk opened up tremendous opportunities for their businesses and helped them compete. If you have thoughts on the survey results or a story of your own, we’d love to hear it!