Back to oDesk.com » Love the way you work.

Welcome to the oDesk Community! Connect here with fellow clients, contractors, and oDesk staff. Please review our Usage Policy.

Streamlined Contractor Profiles

****Update as of 12/22/2011****

We've made several updates to the new contractor profile, based on the feedback we received. To see the list of updates, click here


Today we are really excited to announce a brand new design for contractor profile pages!

The contractor profile is at the heart of oDesk. Employers depend on it to assess the capabilities of any contractor, and contractors depend on it to attract employers and grow their careers.

Knowing how important the contractor profile is, we have redesigned it to be more useful and intuitive. The new design presents all key information in one clean, streamlined page; this makes it easier for employers to assess the capabilities of contractors, and for contractors to showcase information they want employers to see.

Here are some of the highlights of this new design:

  • No extra clicks. All key profile information is on one page.
  • Skills are at the top. Employers often look to the skills section first to determine if the contractor would be a good fit for the position. We are also standardizing skills across oDesk to make it even easier for employers to identify the right contractor for the job. Contractors: make sure to update your skills so you can get the most out of the new contractor profile design. Read more about transitioning your skills here.
  • Cleaner, modern design.  It’s easier to read, and we’ve removed extraneous information so employers can focus in on what’s most important to them.

Check out the new profile design today! Share your thoughts about it below.

Vote Result

++--------
Score: 2.6, Votes: 62
I'm sorry you feel that way,

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's absolutely not true that I/we don't care about the feedback. I've spent most of the day reading feedback, thinking about it and talking to other people at oDesk about these concerns. I get that some people are unhappy. I also get that it's disconcerting to have something you think works perfectly well get changed, for reasons that aren't clear to you or that you disagree with. That being said, there are some points worth thinking about.

1) Why did we make these changes? To waste money? Anger people? No. We clearly have a monetary incentive to help contractors get jobs and earn money. That's how we make money. But beyond our obvious incentive as a business, we take pride in trying to be the best marketplace for contractors. We don't nickel and dime people with fees. We guarantee hourly work. Nobody is saying it's perfect, but it's simply not the case that we aren't contractor-focused or that we're not receptive to contractor feedback. But receptive to feedback does not mean we just do what a handful of people in the forum suggest. We're weighing lots of different sources of data (some of which isn't available to the individual contractor or employer) and viewpoints, which is ultimately better for everyone.

2) Old profiles test very poorly with employers. They can't figure them out. They don't click on the tabs. The double set of feedback (C-to-E and E-to_C) was very confusing to them. They'd get the percentiles backwards on tests, thinking low ranked people were high and vice versa. Most of the information that we all agree is critical to hiring---wasn't even being viewed. How do we know this? Because we have the profiles in google analytics---employers don't click through. So everyone here can say how much they love the tabs & how it was critical to getting invites but the fact is, the old system wasn't working. In fact, I think one of the reasons why only 10% of hires are employer initiated is because the old profiles were so hard to use. Notice that there are absolutely no employers in the employer discussion talking about how hard these changes are going to make hiring.

3) oDesk making changes has nothing to do with a lack of respect for contractors or their opinions. The fact of the matter is that oDesk has to set the design and it's not feasible to have a site where every profile page has it's own CSS and layout or drive every decision by community-wide polling. The fact is that we did test the new profiles with a large number of contractors and employers and got very positive feedback. Obviously, opinion in the forum is running against. But what makes anyone sure that they speak for all contractors? This forum topic has been viewed less than a 1000 times and has less then 50 comments. We transitioned several hundred thousand profiles. And forum participants are not a representative sample of all contractors by a long shot. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion---or that your opinion can't possibly be right (maybe we did goof this)---but I wouldn't be so ready to use "we" and "our" as if opinion was unanimous or that the 90% in the forum means that 90% of the rest of contractors would feel the same way. And furthermore, disagreeing with someone doesn't mean you think they're a moron. If I thought commenters here were morons, I wouldn't be writing lengthy replies or thinking about their critiques.

4) I think some of the critiques about how work history are absolutely valid. We're working right now on some ways to make work history more comprehensible and informative while still not overloading employers with information they can't parse. We recognize that we made a mistake with title length & we're working on it.

5) I think the skill transitions will be painful or frustrating in some cases, but the change came after deep research into how employers search for contractors & why they can't find what they are looking for. Time will tell, but my prediction is that this change will ultimately have a big positive effect on the percentage of jobs that get filled.

Buyers won't click through on

Buyers won't click through on the new profile either, in the main. And you've buried a lot of important information...employment history; text associated with portfolio pieces*; text associated with skills etc.

*In my opinion, this needs addressing, particularly

A lot of information that was previously available is now hidden or nuked totally. It takes more clicks to do anything. It's hard to read. Every single contractor will have to re-do their profile to make themselves more saleable in the new format and you've torpedoed many thousands of hours of work for a UI that -frankly- isn't very good. You surely weren't expecting joy?

Applause for trying to fix the search though...hope it works.

I agree with Darren on the

I agree with Darren on the portfolio. I think this type of portfolio works well for graphic artists. But I looked at your profile and saw the same blank porfolio with empty boxes just like mine. It's because our portfolio are projects and not graphic illustrations which I think the old profile displayed better. For me, the old profile displayed the portfolio good on both graphic-related and non-graphic related contractors.

come on....

First of all, a large number of the comments here come from hiring managers. We look at hundreds of resumes every day. We hire people. As such, we are employers. So notice that half the people here are in fact employers.

No, John, you don't care about feedback. You only take the feedback you like that fits with your theories and discount the rest as "the opinion of few". As such, historically there has been absolutely NO change at the urging of the people on the forums. So you NEVER do what we ask here. Are we ALL be wrong ALL THE TIME? If that is the case why waste time with focus groups. Just post it on the forums and do the opposite of what we ask.

For the record, we don't ask to do every change based on community polling, we ask that after the community says something is * you go ahead and change it, not find excuses to protect your own ego.

Guess what, I've been one of the few. I stood down with one of your teams to discuss the search. It works pretty much like a sales process. A good deal of time was spent trying to convince me that the search works and that the most relevant result is on top even though it had the skills I wanted listed as secondary at best. That is not how a focus group should be run. Do you want to know what was fixed after that? NOTHING! But yeah, I am in the minority as always so....why bother.

Let me show you how absurd your comments are:

1. you say employers did not get pressing on tabs? Do you think they will get the idea of hovering over the title to see a tooltip? The results of the analytics will not show a failure in this case. So you didn't solve the problem you hid it. Very good for your 6-months evaluation, very bad for the people actually working here.

2. there is a huge, HUGE amount of white space. If you have many projects because of all the white space, the user has to click lots of times to get to some sort of feedback. So it takes significantly more clicks and time spent to absorb the same information.

3. they didn't get pressing on tabs? They will however get pressing on each previous job to get the full details? Is that because you show on hover See Details...well, here's a crazy thought: if that is the only reason why people are clicking now, why not integrated it with the old tab system and write Show details on the tab....

4. They did not get clicking on tabs but they will get clicking on portfolio items? Why? Because they have a hover effect? There is NO, none, nada, zilch, zip usability in the portfolio section. You now have to click twice to get the same information...3 times if you have a larger portfolio. Are you telling me it's more intuitive having to click on stuff to view details rather than having the details already in the page? If your interaction designer signed out on this particular layout without comments he/she needs to be fired because he/she is incompetent.

5. Are you telling me that this: is considered OK in the world of odesk usability?

6. And speaking of color scheme, if 10% tell you they like it, 10% tell you it's hard to read and 80% don't say anything, the correct and logical thing to do is change it...because poor usability trumps personal estetics (likes) or lack of feedback. In this case, lack of feedback means they don't care either way! So nobody will complain.

Perfect points - Odesk, please take note of these

Maria F. wrote:
1. you say employers did not get pressing on tabs? Do you think they will get the idea of hovering over the title to see a tooltip? The results of the analytics will not show a failure in this case. So you didn't solve the problem you hid it. Very good for your 6-months evaluation, very bad for the people actually working here.

2. there is a huge, HUGE amount of white space. If you have many projects because of all the white space, the user has to click lots of times to get to some sort of feedback. So it takes significantly more clicks and time spent to absorb the same information.

3. they didn't get pressing on tabs? They will however get pressing on each previous job to get the full details? Is that because you show on hover See Details...well, here's a crazy thought: if that is the only reason why people are clicking now, why not integrated it with the old tab system and write Show details on the tab....

4. They did not get clicking on tabs but they will get clicking on portfolio items? Why? Because they have a hover effect? There is NO, none, nada, zilch, zip usability in the portfolio section. You now have to click twice to get the same information...3 times if you have a larger portfolio. Are you telling me it's more intuitive having to click on stuff to view details rather than having the details already in the page? If your interaction designer signed out on this particular layout without comments he/she needs to be fired because he/she is incompetent.

5. Are you telling me that this: is considered OK in the world of odesk usability?

6. And speaking of color scheme, if 10% tell you they like it, 10% tell you it's hard to read and 80% don't say anything, the correct and logical thing to do is change it...because poor usability trumps personal estetics (likes) or lack of feedback. In this case, lack of feedback means they don't care either way! So nobody will complain.

All the white space is really stupid. There's just no point in it - now it takes TRIPLE the time to absorb information. Work history and feedback are hidden now - it's a lot harder to evaluate contractors properly! The only ones showing are 4 jobs that don't really sum up a WORK HISTORY.

If employers/clients aren't clicking on TABS, then do you think they'd click on these LINKS?

So

So buyers weren't clicking on the section links that were prominently displayed at the top of the page, next to one another but they would click on links that they need to find by scrolling down the page and in some cases - after they've clicked another link (the plethora of 'more' links)? Interesting logic. I'm not saying that the old profiles were perfect - I'm sure the problem with employers not clicking is serious and that a change was necessary. But this is definitely not the way.

The new color scheme is nice for someone who likes low contrasts (like me) but the lack of visual accents won't motivate people to click more and 'hides' information that should be highlighted. Now all the information looks like it has the same importance (at a first glance) and I'm ready to bet that a busy employer or a new employer won't waste time reading (and clicking) through all of it to get to something relevant for his project. Not to mention the fact that besides the number of hours logged (displayed in grayed-out small numbers), there's no way of quickly differentiating between the profile of a seasoned contractor and the profile of a newbie with 1 finished job.

The skill set dictionary is not a huge issue for me - there are a lot of instances where one needs to make do with pre-prepared lists and while not a perfect solution, I understand that it might optimize the search.

However, the Work History and the Portfolio placement and organization are definitely problematic. As a graphic artist I get hired with my portfolio; for remote projects the feedback I've received from previous jobs is probably the second most important factor for a hiring manager. Now both of those are buried under multiple clicks. So to answer Janeth's post - no, this portfolio doesn't work well for graphic artists either. I have nine pieces showing in my profile (and I still have to figure out how to optimize them so that they're the ones I want there) and just to see my entire portfolio displayed, one needs 3 clicks. And that's just me with my measly set of 22 pieces. I can't imagine what it takes to see the portfolio of more experienced designers with 70+ pieces. Plus, no intuitive navigation (as in 'no navigation at all') to the next/previous piece when you're viewing an item in Detailed view. How many clicks are that? Same (and worse) in Work History.

Thank you for taking the time to address some of the issues, John, it's appreciated. And please understand, it's not a reaction against the fact that there's change in general - every site, system, community needs changes and needs to evolve. The majority of the answers in this thread are reactions against the nature of the change and the fact that it makes selling a profile on oDesk harder. The layout is nowhere near to finalized and well-thought and while it's entirely possible that we will like where you're eventually going with it, you can't expect positive reactions after forcing this beta version of it midway.

P.S. As for the fact that forum participants are not representative sample of oDesk contractors - you're absolutely right. However, I wouldn't disregard the reactions here. The rule in any online community is that there's active minority that posts on forums regularly and a passive majority that posts only when they have a serious problem or an urgent issue. I think that here on oDesk the active forum participants are the people who spend most time on the site, who are community orientated (that's where the 'we' comes from) and people who have chosen oDesk as one of their primary 'worksites'. Yes, there are thousands of registered contractors, a huge percent of whom, I'm sure, take perhaps a job or three monthly for some extra cash. The fact that they're not here to say what they think shouldn't devaluate the opinion of people who spend 6+ hours daily on oDesk.

* ugh, sorry for the monster post : )

/// Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it's the courage to continue that counts.

Hi Bojana, Thanks for your

Hi Bojana,

Thanks for your insightful comments.

We are working on both the high level problems you identified:

1. Making the oDesk Work History section richer for contractors with more experience.

2. The portfolio area will have navigation on the detailed view (so you can go next/ previous) to make viewing graphical portfolios easier. We are working on this and will launch a series of updates to the portfolio section.

Shipra

Employers do care too

I am replying to John as a hiring manager and therefore as an employer.

First of all, thank you for answering. But now...

1)Yes, please get our feedback and other data, but have in mind that we are the ones who use your system several hours a day. People's opinion (given whether in this forum or not) are much more important that some numbers and graphs from an automatic analysis.

2)I'm sorry but... do you think we employers are stupid? So we didn't click on tabs but now we're are intelligent enough to hover with the mouse and wait for a tooltip. Double feedback was confusing? OK, if someone (employer or contractor) doesn't understand what Employer to Contractor and Contractor to Employer means...well... Now is it much easier now as you're hiding info and the feedback is shown partially? No it's not. About percentiles, same thing... employers do know what percentiles are, and even if they don't, the way to solve it is not hiding them. Is it so difficult to say "67% (above average)"? Add info, don't hide it please. You say critical info wasn't even view... I don't agree at all. The system of tabs let us employers to choose the info we wanted (feddback, tests, portfolio). Now everything is hidden and we need to scroll down until we find it. I'm not going to point out all the problems as others have already done. About only 10% of hires being employer's initiated, you maybe should ask employers about it. Personally, I rather search for contractors because I have always little time, so I just open a job post. I know that people interested in the job will apply. And finally, yes, we employers are not discussing in the Employer's section of th forum, as contractors aren't doing it in their section. We are discussing in the News and Feedback section because the posts are open there. But if all you want us is to open 5 new posts and spam people in the employers section, believe me, lots of people will answer as they are doing here.

3)We don't want you to drive everything by community-polling, and we don't say we represent all contractors and employers, but the fact is that many people is unhappy with the change, and maybe you should investigate if more are too. I could reply hundreds of times to every post, but there's no point on doing it as others have already said what is wrong and so on. We are asking you to maintain the old version as an option while you work this out. Give us the option to return to our old profiles (and why not old navigation too) and then ask people, open a poll for everyone in oDesk (a simple pop-up when entering the site will work), talk to your workmates, analyse data and so on. But if there is evidence that this change is causing problems and making people unhappy and unproductive, there's no point to force us while you make your decisions. You're on time to correct your mistakes, and we will thank you.

4)Good to read that at least you're taking into account some comments

5)OK, nothing to say about this

Please, just hear us, we are the heart of oDesk right?

A few more comments

Thanks - I appreciate this.

First - some good news. I think you'll find that skills are being ordered correctly on your profiles.

So some background:

1) I'm not a designer & this isn't my design. I'm "sticking up" for it here not because it's my ego on the line---it's because I want to understand people's concerns and have a fruitful discussion. I genuinely prefer it to the old design, which I don't tink was very usable nor aesthetically appealing. That's my opinion, but I'm very interested in learning about why people differ. My main reason for engaging in the forum right now is to talk about the skills transition, which I am responsible for---talking about design & the motivation for it has been a side-effect.

2) Let me concede some things:
a) I agree on titles
b) I agree that that work history & feedback needs to improve, ideally with something that can give hiring managers / employers a quick understanding of an entire oDesk work history at a glance.

3) I am an oDesk employer---and was for several years before I started with the company as the staff economist this year. I used oDesk contractors extensively for my research projects---programming, editing, proofreading etc. I've spent over 20K on oDesk, in a variety of jobs. So although I'm not a hiring manager, I'm not a noob when it comes to hiring or what employers care about.

4) My points about employer usability of the old profiles wasn't that they were stupid; it was just that they found it confusing and that they didn't even look at the top level of information. Nesting information is a time-honored way to reduce confusion. There's a reason not all your gmails are open by default. To make my point, consider the C-to-E feedback to example, which in the old profile, was stacked right below. It was very easy to confuse which was which. Now, the E-to-C feedback is all that is shown (no chance for confusion here). It's getting all the attention. If the E cares about that particular job (say it had low feedback and they want to get that C's side of the story), it's just one click away.

5) I'm genuinely sorry that people don't feel like their feedback in the forums falls on deaf ears. I really haven't been engaged in the forums or with the company long enough to know the historical background. To be honest, my initial impression of the forum was not very positive so I ignored it. However, I'll make a point of coming here more in the future.

I love it when people...

I love it when people make my argument for me!

1. That goes to seeing what you want to see and interpreting data to fit the theory. I am glad that you like gray on gray with more gray in the middle and a whole lot of white. However, usability trumps personal aesthetics...at least in the world of professional web design. In the world of Odesk design apparently it doesn't.

2. Well, yippie kay-yay John! . My question is: why did your team missed this in the first place? It was obvious to pretty much everybody else here, and most people are not usability specialists or interaction designers. And no, the "we all make mistakes" will not cut it this times. This is not a small bug, this is so big that 99% of the people here caught it. Didn't you said you did some usability studies? What does this tell you of the quality of your survey...or your team' skills?

4. So was the profile information on the tabs: just one click away. Or maybe it's the quality of the click. I half expect you guys to say: most of our employers are left handed so starting today we are improving Odesk: we will use only left-handed links. But seriously, I can think of half a dozen ways the feedback could be nested. Why couldn't your team?

5. Don't worry, I am sure every other odesk staffer feels the same way: the forum is not a positive place so we should just go ahead and ignore it. Hence our frustration. Hence my (and others) bitter posts. Hence our utter disappointment. But don't take my word for it. Here is a little history of the Odesk staff - forum dwellers interaction:

- changing the client to employer terminology. A lot of people here were against it. The rest were indifferent (me included). Those opposed explained why: it will give the clients the impression that we are employees, hence it will deprive us of some rights. An employer to employee relationship is not an equal business-based relationship as client-contractor. Result: none, you went ahead and made the change based on the fact that some people were not opposed to it. Did that improve anything...or anything that matters? Do you think some people were confused about their position when they came here to look for a freelancer? Did somebody had a sudden identity crisis for being called a client instead of employer? For me this was just a way of saying: we, the odesk staff do stuff!

- removing the contractor sort / breaking the search: that was a particularly smart move, only trumped by this one. I wrote an extensive feedback on the forum about it (but it's now gone because of the trigger-happy forum moderators). I even got to sit down with the Odesk team working on that issue. In that meeting a lot of the time they were trying to convince me that is a good idea and that a php developer that didn't have project manager anywhere in the title or skills and charged $55/hour and never worked an hour on odesk was in fact the most relevant result when searching for Project Manager. In the end, your team coincided to the fact that a sorting drop-down would be OK, if only to include extra parameters such as relevance, oldest, etc. What really happened after that? Nothing. The search is still broken, I still have to spend half as much time to identify good contractors.

- the new navigation: every feedback you got here you ignored. The most important one: drop-down navigation. The response from odesk: Drop downs are being replaced by a more intuitive interface that requires fewer clicks to reach your goal. Prior to this I could get from home to reports in 1 clicks. Now takes 4...and I have to wait for each page to load to go to the next one. Let me make this clear: 1 vs 1 2 3 4. I suspect this is how you count the clicks now and they come up as fewer. Not to mention that this is devastating for server performance. You are doing 4 times more calls with the current navigation. Can I say how bad this is for mobiles?

Please, enlighten me: was there a usability study that said drop down menu = bad, inline menu = good? Or maybe the employers were saying "we just love the extra clicks, more, more MORE"? In fact, it was nothing but aesthetics. Proof again that odesk could not care less for usability...or forum opinions.

As for coming on the forums more often...no, you will not, and neither will your colleagues. And that John, saddens me beyond belief.

Rubbish

John Horton wrote:
I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's absolutely not true that I/we don't care about the feedback. I've spent most of the day reading feedback, thinking about it and talking to other people at oDesk about these concerns. I get that some people are unhappy. I also get that it's disconcerting to have something you think works perfectly well get changed, for reasons that aren't clear to you or that you disagree with. That being said, there are some points worth thinking about.

Rubbish. I've learned to differentiate between what people *say* and what they actually *do*. The above is just words. Your (=oDesk's) *actions* show that you constantly ignore your users' feedback, both employers and contractors. What's most plausible given the observable facts is that someone in your office is on a huge ego trip, knowing what's best for everyone in here, despite strong, coherent, well-articulated, contradicting signals from your business: US.
John Horton wrote:
1) Why did we make these changes? To waste money? Anger people? No. We clearly have a monetary incentive to help contractors get jobs and earn money. That's how we make money. But beyond our obvious incentive as a business, we take pride in trying to be the best marketplace for contractors. We don't nickel and dime people with fees. We guarantee hourly work. Nobody is saying it's perfect, but it's simply not the case that we aren't contractor-focused or that we're not receptive to contractor feedback. But receptive to feedback does not mean we just do what a handful of people in the forum suggest. We're weighing lots of different sources of data (some of which isn't available to the individual contractor or employer) and viewpoints, which is ultimately better for everyone.

You should be a politician. I'm almost buying it.
John Horton wrote:
2) Old profiles test very poorly with employers. They can't figure them out. They don't click on the tabs. The double set of feedback (C-to-E and E-to_C) was very confusing to them. They'd get the percentiles backwards on tests, thinking low ranked people were high and vice versa. Most of the information that we all agree is critical to hiring---wasn't even being viewed. How do we know this? Because we have the profiles in google analytics---employers don't click through. So everyone here can say how much they love the tabs & how it was critical to getting invites but the fact is, the old system wasn't working. In fact, I think one of the reasons why only 10% of hires are employer initiated is because the old profiles were so hard to use. Notice that there are absolutely no employers in the employer discussion talking about how hard these changes are going to make hiring.

Please state that thing again, about employers not coming forth to criticize this move of yours? I think a few of them are here. Please, say again that they're incapable of dealing with an information-rich profile layout, and they need the layout simplified to kindergarten level so they can hire someone?
John Horton wrote:
3) oDesk making changes has nothing to do with a lack of respect for contractors or their opinions. The fact of the matter is that oDesk has to set the design and it's not feasible to have a site where every profile page has it's own CSS and layout or drive every decision by community-wide polling. The fact is that we did test the new profiles with a large number of contractors and employers and got very positive feedback.

I'll cut it short here. I don't believe this last part for a minute, that you tested the new profiles with a large number of users, both employers and contractors, and got very positive feedback. Such a discrepancy between alleged extensive testing and actual feedback just doesn't happen in real life.

I'm not too surprised : blatant lying is in line with oDesk's usual attitude toward its user base. The contempt is showing. What are we to you, mindless cattle?

I've said that I think there

I've said that I think there are design flaws that should be fixed. I've said that commenters have some valid points. I don't know why a difference of opinion has to be transmuted into some sinister plot of lying, ego-trips, assumptions of bad faith etc. It's not helpful.

On the particular question of testing, I just went to our team room & took some snap shots of the jobs we posted for usability testing & consulting. I wasn't involved with this, but my understanding is that this research was augmented with a number of other tests & consultations with employers.

https://skitch.com/johnjosephhorton/gx882/job-postings-odesk-odesk
https://skitch.com/johnjosephhorton/gx88i/job-postings-odesk-odesk

Possibly because it feels

Possibly because it feels like we're being ignored; have been for some time; and don't have any hopes about things changing. Like the time oDesk renamed buyers to employers, over strenuous forum dissent. And sure enough, the dissent did nothing and people are still being confused over the term. And the new navigation. The profile page is just one in a series...

This UI is a trainwreck. Almost every single thing about it is a step backwards. You have buyers and contractors both saying so; here and all over the rest of the forums. The contractors are more vocal purely because it's us that will immediately have to do extra work to try and make ourselves look saleable once again...if that's possible. You've conceded that some (obvious) tweaks are needed, fair enough, but the truncated title -for example- should never have made it to a production server. We shouldn't have to be telling you this.

I also have limited faith in Google Analytics...my profile is 'registered users only' and shouldn't be sending anything to Google. Additionally, I block Google Analytics javascript on my machine and strongly suspect that I'm not the only one.

Calling this a test?

John Horton wrote:
The fact is that we did test the new profiles with a large number of contractors and employers and got very positive feedback.

It appears "a large number of contractors and employers" turns out to be a single 15 minutes usability test:
https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Experienced-oDesk-PHP-developer-for-oDesk-com-Usability-test_~~aab54593312f22f2?sid=12001

and 5 interviews of oDesk contractors with little or no oDesk experience, as a requirement (!):
https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Survey-Participant_~~051309e2e97bfaa8?sid=12001
https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Survey-Participant_~~5fe78c700d4453d5?sid=12001
https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Survey-Participant_~~75fb5811850955a0?sid=12001
https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Survey-Participant_~~31b0eab3e17b7dcb?sid=12001
https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Survey-Participant_~~26f327107d44c252?sid=12001

So you paid a couple oDesk beginners $3-to-$5/hour, for what? Probably a 20 minutes interview, probably drafted as greatly as the new navigation and profile layout, and that's how the fate of the work tool of all your contractors was decided?

John Horton wrote:
I've said that I think there are design flaws that should be fixed

I'd say that oDesk's design team has got design flaws that should be fixed. Like, by starting over with a new team whose main result won't be to make it more difficult for us to work.

tehee

These links kinda explain the 'positive feedback' Laughing out loud Actually, that's not the right smiley, it's kinda sad :/

/// Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it's the courage to continue that counts.

Rubbish

...And if you're wondering why I'm so vocal and outraged, here it is, put simple for you: I've invested a huge amount of time here at oDesk. At some point in time I came to the conclusion that oDesk was fulfilling my needs, and I decided to use this platform exclusively (how that regret that decision now : (( ). 18 months later the result is close to 1,000 hours billed plus fixed-rate jobs, and about $25K of income. I patiently managed to build a good profile... Which you guys decided to ruin for some more-than-questionable reasons, most of them aesthetics-driven. You've managed to make my profile look, at first glance, worse than a newbie with four $10 jobs: that person would have 4x5 stars immediately visible on their profile page... While all that shows on mine is 4 bland "job in progress".

I've also driven a few people to oDesk, be assured that it won't happen again. My message so far was "try it, it's great, you can do something there". My message will now be "Yeah, I'm at oDesk but you should stay away from it. They make crazy decisions that put people's work in danger". Great job oDesk !

Considering the above, just moving out is not an easy option. Starting on oDesk was very difficult, months of trying to get that 1st job, then building my profile. Needless to say that I'm not too happy (huge euphemism) about having to consider doing it all over again at elance or guru, although that's probably what will happen. I am absolutely furious at oDesk for forcing me to do that.

All the useful, getting hired-aiding information that used to be on my profile page is gone. "Recent applications" used to show that 95% of my applications were employer-initiated: this showed that I'm sought after by employers. Gone. Easily readable portfolio with a couple sample works. Gone. a few dozens 5-star jobs that used to display readily. Gone. Most of my test results are in the 'top 10%' and 'top 20%'... Gone, or so. I've got a couple "no feedback given" jobs: you guys decided to just transform those in "zero-star job". Brilliant, isn't it?

Your move crippled my ability to get jobs here and your only purpose now is to cover for it, shrugging off all the feedback you're receiving. Shame on you.

Exactly :(

Cyril B. wrote:
...And if you're wondering why I'm so vocal and outraged, here it is, put simple for you: I've invested a huge amount of time here at oDesk. At some point in time I came to the conclusion that oDesk was fulfilling my needs, and I decided to use this platform exclusively (how that regret that decision now : (( ). 18 months later the result is close to 1,000 hours billed plus fixed-rate jobs, and about $25K of income. I patiently managed to build a good profile... Which you guys decided to ruin for some more-than-questionable reasons, most of them aesthetics-driven. You've managed to make my profile look, at first glance, worse than a newbie with four $10 jobs: that person would have 4x5 stars immediately visible on their profile page... While all that shows on mine is 4 bland "job in progress".

I've also driven a few people to oDesk, be assured that it won't happen again. My message so far was "try it, it's great, you can do something there". My message will now be "Yeah, I'm at oDesk but you should stay away from it. They make crazy decisions that put people's work in danger". Great job oDesk !

Considering the above, just moving out is not an easy option. Starting on oDesk was very difficult, months of trying to get that 1st job, then building my profile. Needless to say that I'm not too happy (huge euphemism) about having to consider doing it all over again at elance or guru, although that's probably what will happen. I am absolutely furious at oDesk for forcing me to do that.

All the useful, getting hired-aiding information that used to be on my profile page is gone. "Recent applications" used to show that 95% of my applications were employer-initiated: this showed that I'm sought after by employers. Gone. Easily readable portfolio with a couple sample works. Gone. a few dozens 5-star jobs that used to display readily. Gone. Most of my test results are in the 'top 10%' and 'top 20%'... Gone, or so. I've got a couple "no feedback given" jobs: you guys decided to just transform those in "zero-star job". Brilliant, isn't it?

Your move crippled my ability to get jobs here and your only purpose now is to cover for it, shrugging off all the feedback you're receiving. Shame on you.

Excellent points!

Cyril B. wrote:
All the useful, getting hired-aiding information that used to be on my profile page is gone. "Recent applications" used to show that 95% of my applications were employer-initiated: this showed that I'm sought after by employers. Gone. Easily readable portfolio with a couple sample works. Gone. a few dozens 5-star jobs that used to display readily. Gone. Most of my test results are in the 'top 10%' and 'top 20%'... Gone, or so. I've got a couple "no feedback given" jobs: you guys decided to just transform those in "zero-star job". Brilliant, isn't it?

Hope someone in odesk is reading and taking these things into consideration!

selective reasoning

John Horton wrote:
This forum topic has been viewed less than a 1000 times and has less then 50 comments. We transitioned several hundred thousand profiles. And forum participants are not a representative sample of all contractors by a long shot. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion---or that your opinion can't possibly be right (maybe we did goof this)---but I wouldn't be so ready to use "we" and "our" as if opinion was unanimous or that the 90% in the forum means that 90% of the rest of contractors would feel the same way.

I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with selective reasoning. When you look at other posts, you will see that the view to replies rate is generally small, i.e. 6530 views and 134 replies (Improved PHP Local Funds Transfer) which means that roughly 1 in 50 viewers responded. (You can do this with countless other posts and topics.) The views to reply rate on this topic (within a minute I counted at least 5 different posts with roughly 2700 views and 150 replies) is 1 in 18. Keep in mind we are only a day or two in! (If my logic is flawed, feel free to correct me.)

While I don't expect changes, I appreciate the fact that you are at least reading the forums. Now if the feedback could be (objectively) assessed, that would be great. If this change is truly for the better, fine - I don't necessarily have to like it. But there should be easily accessible evidence to support it.

Thanks for collecting these & point taken.

I shouldn't have said "no employers were complaining"---that's the same faulty reasoning I was making about other comments.

Drama Unfolding

I've just read the whole tug-of-war in replies here... and I think it's headed close to what I would call a social media disaster. People have vented out their dissatisfaction and it's no good dousing fire with high octane fuel. Last thing we want is an Occupy Odesk movement because of these sudden changes. Just a friendly advice Wink

On the contrary, I've got queries from potential clients who have read my posts from the forums, so this place isn't totally junk. If one will type in a search for 'social engagement specialist' on the searches, this place is doing me a whole lot of favor by showing up my name on the first page-- linking to my profile here. Ergo: The forums can be a gold mine of info when you pick up the good apples from the bad ones.

Faulty reasoning

Odesk could've saved itself a lot of money by simply getting the community opinion on profile changes rather than hiring beginners to evaluate the new profile - these people may have been desperate for a job, which is why they all made positive comments when there are so many problems with the new profile.

It's pretty unbelievable that you'd spring this change on us without any warning, and now you admit that there are many flaws. Instead of moving every contractor to the new profile page, you could have had a beta version so that people could've tested and commented upon it first.

Why not revert back to the old profile while you work on these changes? I mean, you've admitted that there are problems.

Though I really don't know what you found wrong with the original profile in the first place. Even clients/employers are complaining that they cannot understand the new profile... everything is just hidden and confusing!

...

1-st of all, thank you for a response. Most of oDesk oficial people just ignore our opinions. It's a good way.

2-nd. Moving next is a good way too. But rather putting this **RAW BETA** site into a live environment is a top stupidity. Don't be offended on my opinion. It's a true...

Rather that you have to make a public beta tests with planned a mass e-mailing and collecting a feedbacks about a next generation ideas.

I'm pretty sure, 90% of people will do a beta test and leave a feedback and only 10% will not been involved in it. However you will have a whole imagination how to make in simplier and more efficiently.

Doing a mass beta test in a live environment is a totally unacceptable things...

Thanks,

the heart of contractor

Jacqueline Pittenger wrote:

...
The contractor profile is at the heart of oDesk.
...
Here are some of the highlights of this new design:

  • No extra clicks. All key profile information is on one page.
  • Skills are at the top. Employers often look to the skills section first to determine if the contractor would be a good fit for the position. We are also standardizing skills across oDesk to make it even easier for employers to identify the right contractor for the job. Contractors: make sure to update your skills so you can get the most out of the new contractor profile design. Read more about transitioning your skills here.
  • Cleaner, modern design.  It’s easier to read, and we’ve removed extraneous information so employers can focus in on what’s most important to them.


...

The contractor profile is at the heart of oDesk.
I think on next future, oDesk must care and consider for all of contractor's opinion by polling before launch any feature.

  • No extra clicks.
  • but it need very extra scroll down if we have many work history, employment history, etc. The user experience of old stream line & navigation are much better than other freelance site, that's why I choose oDesk.

  • Skills are at the top.
  • if we have many skill on the list then it will be masking the objective and there's a blank space below photo & hourly rate.

  • Cleaner, modern design.
  • agree but the old streamline much more easy and professional.

    My suggestion are simply, just keep the new streamline design but bring back the tab navigation, move skill's list below the objective, keep the skill dictionary, and launch a poll about the new streamline before launch it and then oDesk will be win the heart of majority contractor Smile

    Just share my thoughts.

1) Colour scheme - there

1) Colour scheme - there isn't enough contrast and people with vision problems are going to have trouble reading it
2) UI...several people have commented in more detail than me; but you've gone from the old system where all the information was easily available in tabs to a system where the information is hidden in links and mouseovers spread randomly throughout the page. You have failed the User Interface 101 course.
3) Self-assessed English skills is prominently displayed; taking up room that non-worthless information could be using.
4) Truncating the title is a really stupid move. At one stroke, you've made every single contractor look like an idiot. As I recall there was a character limit for the title, so why in hell did you not allow for it?
5) "Forced" use of skills dictionary. I'll let you have this one, as the oDesk search has been broken for as long as I can remember and any steps forward can only be a good thing. It wasn't, however, necessary to break everything else in order to do so...you could perfectly easily have done this without wrecking everybody's profiles.

Really, this new profile is a disaster. I know that I'd be ashamed to offer a mess like this to a client; and would offer them a free re-do as soon as I sobered up. What's oDesk's excuse?

As far as I can see, the only people who will benefit from this new profile are people who can't speak English...and they are going to blow themselves out of the water in the 'overview' section anyway. Certainly in my case, the information presented makes me less employable from initial impressions.

EDIT: Oh yeah, how come the prices for previous jobs is still displayed? Instead of foisting crap we don't need on us; how about addressing issues that you've been ignoring for ages? While it is true that the buyers are your real clients and contractors are just -in a very real sense- just a commodity; if you continue to treat us as such you'll be hurting your own business.

This and the other reactions in this thread isn't some "Oh the facebook settings have changed boo hoo!" automatic hate reaction. You have informed comments from a bunch of people who do this for a living. The user interface; readability; and access to information all suck hugely.

Feel free to ignore this pretty well universal dislike of your new profile format though. Like normal.

@JohnThe new profile page is

@John

The new profile page is very confusing to users

1)https://url.odesk.com/n2qep

No of feedbacks and no of projects should be there in the top

2)https://url.odesk.com/dvj7i

Title is not showing properly .Mouse over needed to see a title ,that horrible !

3) Skills : There is no use in showing the titles like this . Employers want to see more details about each skills like 1) no of years 2) description and URLS . I am not saying everyone in odesk spends time for that , but the most successful contractors use it for good reason . As an employer sometimes its important for me to see the no years in some technologies .I don't want to interview each and everyone to know that .It should be there in the profile
Now its too much less information about skills of contractors

4)Work history : https://url.odesk.com/wqe2d It is creating problems to contractors who has lot of open jobs . It just showing 4 open jobs and no feedback comments in first look .It will be good if it shows 5-6 feedback scores/ comments and 2 open jobs .Employers are looking profiles to see the comments from their past employers not open jobs , please don't hide it..

5)https://url.odesk.com/5erfq
This box is confusing users . Please provide 2 boxes which shows past 6 months and 'All time' history like the old UI

6) Portfolio section looks good

7) Please provide badges to people who scores top 10 , top 20 and top 30 percentiles

I have posted more than 100 jobs for the biggest employers of odesk and after a long time i posted 3-4 jobs yesterday . I find it difficult to check profiles with this new UI

Skills description>most successful contractors..

Joby J. wrote:
3) Skills : There is no use in showing the titles like this . Employers want to see more details about each skills like 1) no of years 2) description and URLS . I am not saying everyone in odesk spends time for that , but the most successful contractors use it for good reason . As an employer sometimes its important for me to see the no years in some technologies .I don't want to interview each and everyone to know that .It should be there in the profile
Now its too much less information about skills of contractors

I agree with Joby. As hiring manager i always used to click on the skill tab. Description of skills is important!

Hi Joby, Thanks for your

Hi Joby,

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on the issues you identified.

1. We are working on making the work history section more complete, along with summaries

2. Titles are not truncated anymore

3. Skills: See John Horton's posts on skills

4. Work History: We are working on a solution for making work history usable for contractors with multiple open jobs

5. Working on simplifying this.

6. Thanks

7. We brought the badges back.

We will also show the recent job applications on the profile.

Thanks

Please!

Quote:
if you continue to treat us as such you'll be hurting your own business.

This is really true! oDesk please bring back the old profile..

Revise everything except the PROFILE!!!

A great disservice!

The new layout is a disservice to both contractors and employers. The profile page is about information, not beauty and the latest CSS tricks. The new layout has terrible usability, you need a lot of digging to get to the right info. Please fix this.

So when are they gonna go

So when are they gonna go back to how it was? cos this way is just plain tiring.

Veni, Vidi, Vici.

You were standing out

You were standing out -because- your UI and the profile visibility was by far better than your competitor's.

Nah. For me the selling point was that they were selling the least artificial scarcity (limited number of applications, limited number of job types you can apply for etc). Although sadly -since I joined- there's only a limited number of job categories you can apply for now.

Previous design was better

In my opinion the former profile design was better than the new one. You say this one is easier for an employer to use but the former design wasn't difficult at all. The test section in the new format is not as informative as it was before.

I totally agree, I like the

I totally agree, I like the old version better.

I'm speechless, Please fix this.

Please fix this. Earlier tab system was perfect.

About All new Rubbish Upgrade

Hi,

Last time I was get very bad experience for new navigation that are not like by 70% odesk user.

And now new provider profile view are a rubbish design that make confuse to understand a profile at a glance.

oDesk may forget a thing that right now all the website putting a feature "DASHBOARD" that help people to find anything at a glance. Now odesk are doing opposite and getting down day by day with all this bad and rubbish feature.

I WANT TO ASK ODESK MANAGEMENT:-
1. WHAT IS THE MAIN BENEFIT OF ALL THIS NEW RUBBISH CHANGES?
2. WHICH PEOPLE ARE THINK THAT THIS IS GOOD?
3. WHY ODESK ARE NOT HEARING IT'S USER NEED? BECAUSE 70% USER DONOT LIKE ALL THIS NEW RUBBISH FEATURE.

WE WANT A LINK FOR PREVIOUS THEME AND USER FRIENDLY DASHBOARD

IF ODESK NEW RUBBISH PLANER THINK THEY ARE SMART THEN I HAVE SOME QUESTION FOR THEM:-

1. On Old design we can view balance/pending by only going home page, So right now how many click we need to see that? do you think bother people are a SMART WAY?

2. On old menu we can access contract by 1 click from navigation. So right now how many click we need to see that? Do you think this is SMART?

3. I have many more things like this to tell.... SO can you please inform us why you doing this?

WE PAY 10% CHARGE TO ODESK, ODESK ARE NOT FREE SERVICES. SO ODESK MUST HEAR IT'S USER NEED.

THE LAST ALTERNATE WAY IS TO LEAVE ODESK AND GO TO OTHER WEBSITE.

AND FINALLY DO ODESK MANAGEMENT REVIEW THIS FORUM? IF SO THEN IT SHOULD BE TURN OLDER VERSION IN THIS TIME.

SO we think some team may planning to down odesk and odesk foolish management are doing so....

VERY BAD BUSINESS PLAN.

Thanks,
Arafat Jahan

Please Revert to old Profile design and lay out

I am both a contractor and an employer. Personally, I don't think the new lay out is beneficial to either the contractors or the employers.

When I look for prospective contractors, I check out their skills test results and feedbacks. the problem with the new design and lay out is that they are not highlighted.

Profiles look boring now.

As a contractor, I am dismayed that the skill tests that I worked hard for as well as the feedback are not immediately visible in the new lay out and design. Such a waste of time and effort.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do us a big favor, go back to the old profile design and lay out.

Trying without succeeding is still failing

If employers couldn't figure out the old layout of tabs, I wonder how they are supposed to figure out that in order to get to the forum, they have to click on the question mark (which usually stands for help). And if employers simply didn't have the time to click through a profile, they certainly won't have the time to post on a forum.

The usability of this platform is continuously regressing, not improving, unfortunately. I see very little done to increase the quality of both contractors as well as employers. Maybe the reason for why only 10% of hires are employer initiated is because each time a job is posted, one gets 50+ spam applications by .75 cent folks that neither meet the specified criteria nor have read the job description, which is just simply discouraging. Or because buyers without a verified payment method are able to post jobs, connect with people, and then magically, those jobs get filled (in oDesk speak: remain unfilled) - outside of oDesk.

ODesk used to be superior to other sites because of its user friendliness and unique and innovative approach. No more. Of course you can't poll everything; but you could at least weigh in the opinions and needs of your long time users, with 1000s of oDesk hours, and just as feedback is earnings weighted, so should be opinion.

New navigation system looks ugly, colorless

Hi,

In my view, the new navigation system looks horrible, ugly, colorless and very painful for me as a contractor. What's the problem with old navigation system?

Please revert back to the old navigation system.

Regards,
Ashu

Disappointing

- what will happen to those have 6 jobs in progress .. NO STARS in first look .. all jobs in progress and looks very Dull

- 6 Month / All Month - Sidebar - Should be starts and more prominent

- Portfolio is bad ,,

- Tests looks like just another information BOX not eye catching .. dull

Above all things are very important to attract employers for the job , I hate it now

comments disappear

*moved to https://www.odesk.com/community/node/22076

lol ! deleting threads huh !

lol ! deleting threads huh !Laughing out loud

I don't want this to get lost in the middle of so many post

Cyril B. wrote:
...And if you're wondering why I'm so vocal and outraged, here it is, put simple for you: I've invested a huge amount of time here at oDesk. At some point in time I came to the conclusion that oDesk was fulfilling my needs, and I decided to use this platform exclusively (how that regret that decision now : (( ). 18 months later the result is close to 1,000 hours billed plus fixed-rate jobs, and about $25K of income. I patiently managed to build a good profile... Which you guys decided to ruin for some more-than-questionable reasons, most of them aesthetics-driven. You've managed to make my profile look, at first glance, worse than a newbie with four $10 jobs: that person would have 4x5 stars immediately visible on their profile page... While all that shows on mine is 4 bland "job in progress".

I've also driven a few people to oDesk, be assured that it won't happen again. My message so far was "try it, it's great, you can do something there". My message will now be "Yeah, I'm at oDesk but you should stay away from it. They make crazy decisions that put people's work in danger". Great job oDesk !

Considering the above, just moving out is not an easy option. Starting on oDesk was very difficult, months of trying to get that 1st job, then building my profile. Needless to say that I'm not too happy (huge euphemism) about having to consider doing it all over again at elance or guru, although that's probably what will happen. I am absolutely furious at oDesk for forcing me to do that.

All the useful, getting hired-aiding information that used to be on my profile page is gone. "Recent applications" used to show that 95% of my applications were employer-initiated: this showed that I'm sought after by employers. Gone. Easily readable portfolio with a couple sample works. Gone. a few dozens 5-star jobs that used to display readily. Gone. Most of my test results are in the 'top 10%' and 'top 20%'... Gone, or so. I've got a couple "no feedback given" jobs: you guys decided to just transform those in "zero-star job". Brilliant, isn't it?

Your move crippled my ability to get jobs here and your only purpose now is to cover for it, shrugging off all the feedback you're receiving. Shame on you.

The new profile is hurting us this bad..i hope someone who can help reads this..

The changed are hurting the contractors..

Natasha R. wrote:
Cyril B. wrote:
...And if you're wondering why I'm so vocal and outraged, here it is, put simple for you: I've invested a huge amount of time here at oDesk. At some point in time I came to the conclusion that oDesk was fulfilling my needs, and I decided to use this platform exclusively (how that regret that decision now : (( ). 18 months later the result is close to 1,000 hours billed plus fixed-rate jobs, and about $25K of income. I patiently managed to build a good profile... Which you guys decided to ruin for some more-than-questionable reasons, most of them aesthetics-driven. You've managed to make my profile look, at first glance, worse than a newbie with four $10 jobs: that person would have 4x5 stars immediately visible on their profile page... While all that shows on mine is 4 bland "job in progress".

I've also driven a few people to oDesk, be assured that it won't happen again. My message so far was "try it, it's great, you can do something there". My message will now be "Yeah, I'm at oDesk but you should stay away from it. They make crazy decisions that put people's work in danger". Great job oDesk !

Considering the above, just moving out is not an easy option. Starting on oDesk was very difficult, months of trying to get that 1st job, then building my profile. Needless to say that I'm not too happy (huge euphemism) about having to consider doing it all over again at elance or guru, although that's probably what will happen. I am absolutely furious at oDesk for forcing me to do that.

All the useful, getting hired-aiding information that used to be on my profile page is gone. "Recent applications" used to show that 95% of my applications were employer-initiated: this showed that I'm sought after by employers. Gone. Easily readable portfolio with a couple sample works. Gone. a few dozens 5-star jobs that used to display readily. Gone. Most of my test results are in the 'top 10%' and 'top 20%'... Gone, or so. I've got a couple "no feedback given" jobs: you guys decided to just transform those in "zero-star job". Brilliant, isn't it?

Your move crippled my ability to get jobs here and your only purpose now is to cover for it, shrugging off all the feedback you're receiving. Shame on you.

The new profile is hurting us this bad..i hope someone who can help reads this..

Strange idea and awful implementation

1) The idea of re-inventing the wheel is really strange. Strange idea of re-doing things that look okay and work well. How about adding Escrow function instead?

Going to implementation:
2) Title is not fully visible
3) Objective is not fully visible as well
4) All skills are in lowercase and not readable
5) Colors are very horrible
6) The total number of tests is lost
7) On Portfolio item details, formatting is lost for Description

What was wrong with old profile pages?
Imho, earlier tab system was perfect.

Okay!

They already said 90% of what i want to say! Just to add:

Jacqueline Pittenger wrote:

Here are some of the highlights of this new design:

  • No extra clicks. All key profile information is on one page.

Im a contractor but also as an employer, I rather do extra clicks just to get all the info that i need.. I dont really care if the new design is time-saving, its useless. Its hard for me to find out the contractor's details that i need to know since some of it are hidden already.

Jacqueline Pittenger wrote:

  • Cleaner, modern design.  It’s easier to read, and we’ve removed extraneous information so employers can focus in on what’s most important to them.

This isnt Facebook! oDesk is for business.

Read this:

Stephen G. wrote:
oDesk are easy to use previously and became successful as what it is previously.

Ive been to different oDesk related forums and Facebook groups and i must say, this has been the trending topic for a while now, and most of us arent happy of this change. This change is so uncalled for.

Few comments

I have a few comments about the new design/layout

Fix the "title" It's great that it shows up completely in the search engine window but I want to see the whole title in the profile.

As a contractor: the color scheme HAS to change Wink I have vision problems and this color is -- well to say it's bad would be an understatement - and it's hard to read with vision problems

I can live with the new one page layout but the color is horrific. Also, on the "portfolio" layout please allow us to link to an image. This is important for those of us who have "off-site" portfolio links - writers in particular.

We've been begging for total wages to not be shown. Please stop this practice.

Please allow contractors to show their preferred jobs (requiring at least one in last X period of time) versus showing the most recent: Reason: As someone pointed out not showing any feedback isn't helpful

As an employer: again the color scheme has to go.

Why do we have a "last six months" feedback when all we need is total feedback? We're currently showing when the contractor worked last I couldn't care less about feedback over the last six months, I prefer the cumulative.

Doreen

The cumulative is there, but

Those are not working for contractors either.

So the cumulative is there, but it's kinda hidden (apparently it's not that important :/) Now you have to click on a link to see it, instead of both columns being neatly displayed next to one another. Not like there's not enough space for a small table in the exact same place that displays all the data there... considering the fact that the entire right column of the profile is wasted free space...

/// Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it's the courage to continue that counts.

Hi Doreen, Thanks for the

Hi Doreen,

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

1. We will show the entire title. Most contractors who have actual titles in their profile instead of skill lists (like yours) actually do fit into the profile, but you are right in that way too many titles get cut off.

2. Color Scheme - we are working on making this more usable. Are there specific parts of the profile that are too washed out for you?

3. For portfolios, one of the ideas we have been working on is to have a link to off site things. Our current portfolios don't serve writers the best. This is something we are starting to put design thought towards, but don't have a quick solution for.

What are some sites that host writing portfolios well?

4. Total Wages: This is a larger discussion that has been happening in the community for a long time. I don't have any more updates on this.

5. Total Feedback is definitely relevant. We are fixing this.

Shipra

Thanks for responding

Shipra,

I have actually had a couple of days since my original post to work more on my profile. I did change my title and that's why it happens to fit now Smile It did not before.

I addressed some additional issues today after perusing the profile and tweaking it some more.

A) I do NOT think it's a good idea to have an "offsite" portfolio because it's harder to maintain (and easier to forget about and also could encourage more disintermediation.

B) The "one page" might sound good in practice (but as I pointed out to Micheal) it's more a "wall of text". It forces me (as an employer) to scroll through parts I might not be particularly interested in whereas the tabs allowed me to decide what I wanted to see.

C) This profile layout is far less professional looking than the old one and I'm not confident that changing the colors will help this.

I have profiles on numerous sites and frankly, the tabbed layout that is offered on several are far more professional "feeling" than those that present everything on one page (I have a mixed bag of those some have tabs others do not). I use the tabbed ones when I'm applying for various contracts because they are more professional looking. The "single page" is too much like a blog for my liking.

Doreen