New! Reply to oDesk messages directly from your personal email
Mollie C. 85 posts - United States - Joined Mar 11 2010
Update on March 19th:
Not only is reply via email now available for all users, but we've got a couple more helpful messaging updates to tell you about:
1) Reply via Email: All users are now able to reply to messages from other oDesk users directly from their personal email. Look for this text in the email footer to know whether you can reply directly: "Reply to this email to send a message." For more details, please read our earlier post below.
2) Message Center Search: We’ve added search functionality to the oDesk Message Center, making it easy to find past messages. Simply type in any term or name in the search box at the top of the Message Center, and emails with those terms will be shown.
3) View all contractor's messages: For clients, you can also easily access all messages you’ve exchanged with one of your contractors directly from the Manage My Team tab. Click on the arrow next to one of your contractors, and select “View all Messages”.
We hope this new functionality helps you communicate more effectively while working on oDesk. Let us know what you think!
Update on Feb 10:
Please note: this feature is on a staged rollout, and is not yet accessible to all users. We're sorry for the delay, and for announcing this feature before it was widely accessible. We were just so excited to be able to offer users the ability to respond from email, that we let the news slip out a little too soon.
The feature will be open to all users within the next week or two. Check your email notifications from the oDesk Message Center over that time for the words "Reply to this email to send a message." to know if you have access to this feature, and we'll be sure to update this post again when it is available to all users. Thank you for all the positive comments on this feature, and--again--our apologies on announcing this a bit too early!
The oDesk Message Center is a great way to easily and safely communicate with other oDesk users. Your personal email address is never shared, and all messages are stored in your oDesk account. Today, we have made it even more useful by enabling you to reply to messages from other oDesk users directly from your personal email, without having to go to the oDesk Message Center.
Here’s how it works:
- A message must be initiated from the oDesk website.
- All messages will be forwarded to the recipient’s personal email address.
- Simply hit “reply” on the email to respond to the message.
- A copy of this reply will appear in the original thread in the oDesk Message Center.
A few things to keep in mind:
- To protect our users’ privacy, you will not see the recipient’s email address when you reply from your personal email account.
- Replies from your personal email do not support attachments. To add an attachment, please go to the oDesk Message Center to send your reply.
- Only emails that go through the oDesk Message Center can be replied to directly from your personal email. Emails that are not in the oDesk Message Center Inbox, such as bonus payment confirmations, invites to interview, or tickets you’ve submitted, are not supported with this new reply functionality. To know whether you can respond directly, look for this text in the email footer: "Reply to this email to send a message."
Communication is critical to making online work a success. We encourage you to communicate early and often with the oDeskers you work with, and we hope this new reply feature makes communicating even easier!
Score: 8.2, Votes: 402