Back to oDesk.com » Love the way you work.

Welcome to the oDesk Community! Connect here with fellow clients, contractors, and oDesk staff. Please review our Usage Policy.

Virtual Assistant's Phone Calls

Hi, I have a question, when applying for Virtual Assistant positions, you are required to make and receive phone calls. My question is this: are you supposed to have you own software/service provider through which you can make and receive phone calls? And if so, do you bill the client for the cost of the calls? Thanks!

Vote Result

----------
Score: 0.0, Votes: 0
First it is legit? Second, I

First it is legit?

Second, I would consider it a scam, with you spamming via phone.

Not necessarily.

Joseph C. wrote:
First it is legit?

Second, I would consider it a scam, with you spamming via phone.

Not every position that requires someone to take and make calls is a scam or spamming! There are literally thousands of calls that are totally welcome, often very much waited for, by those who receive the calls. Customer Services, Help Desk, Order processing, calling people who requested a call to sort out a problem with an order or a product or a service - the list goes on!!!

Sure, there are lots of unwelcome calls as well, but the telephone is a genuine business tool so just because a contract involves receiving and making phone calls does not mean that it's a scam - or that anyone is doing any spamming!

As far as the billing is concerned - I would expect the client to sort out and pay for the skype account (or whatever) - the last thing I would like to do is run up a huge bill and then the client decides not to pay it. That would be CRAZY!

I decline offers that expect me to pay.

Elizabeth Le Roux wrote:
Hi, I have a question, when applying for Virtual Assistant positions, you are required to make and receive phone calls. My question is this: are you supposed to have you own software/service provider through which you can make and receive phone calls?

No. It should be provided by the client.

Elizabeth Le RouxAnd wrote:
if so, do you bill the client for the cost of the calls? Thanks!

No need to, you will get paid for your work, the calls are automatically paid by the client, for example when using Skype I get a Skype account with credit to make the calls.

Natasha, is it billed to

Natasha, is it billed to client from Skype?

Depends on the client.

The client can choose an unlimited or limited subscription and the payment can be done using PayPal, Skype credit, bank transfer, credit card and other payment methods.