Back to oDesk.com » Love the way you work.

Welcome to the oDesk Community! Connect here with fellow clients, contractors, and oDesk staff. Please review our Usage Policy.

Why Is Feedback necessary on Dry Runs / Test projects

Can someone at Odesk explain why I have to give and receive feedback on a small test project.

I may have a concern in their past work and give them a quick PAID test to see if they can handle one issue. Feedback is not warranted.

Also, I may test to see how they react if there is no communication.Receiving feedback is unwarranted.

I may hire someone for a test paying hourly and after 30 minutes of interview time realize that they are not right for job so I cancel contract. Why does this require feedback.

This is not a complaint..just trying to understand the system.

Vote Result

++++++----
Score: 6.3, Votes: 3
You are actually not required

You are actually not required to leave a feedback, but it's a good ethical practice. If people notice that you consistently do not leave feedback, they will think twice about doing business with you.

I think you are

When I (a client) close a job I cannot close it without leaving feedback, it does not let you get past that page, at least I have not been able to figure out anyway around it. If you know a way to not leave feedback when you , a client, closes a job, do tell me how.

Margaret...

Margaret P. wrote:
When I (a client) close a job I cannot close it without leaving feedback, it does not let you get past that page, at least I have not been able to figure out anyway around it. If you know a way to not leave feedback when you , a client, closes a job, do tell me how.

I thought the same but apparently you can click past it somehow. I have no idea whether that has always been possible or is a new thing. Sometimes answers do get confusing. I remember when I first came here there were posts that categorically stated that one can NOT end a contract without leaving feedback. Then, when I mentioned that later on, I was told that you can.

These days I check everything myself because it seems that in some instances even oDesk doesn't quite understand how the site works or who has made which chances to what function at any given time......

Feedback only counts as much as it is worth

Because of the way the overall feedback score is calculated, feedback for a short, low $ value contract has little impact on a contractor's overall score. So those "little jobs" don't distort the average , don't give a false impression either way and just mean that a contract, however small, was completed.

I don't suppose you resent the time spent giving feedback, so it is not really an issue, as such, is it?

When I buy on eBay I always leave feedback, regardless of whether I bought an expensive camera or whether I bought a little item worth less than a Dollar. It was a transaction and I acknowledge it as such.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that the same applies here.

Feedback on test runs

Petra R. wrote:
Because of the way the overall feedback score is calculated, feedback for a short, low $ value contract has little impact on a contractor's overall score. So those "little jobs" don't distort the average , don't give a false impression either way and just mean that a contract, however small, was completed.

I do not resent giving feedback....just resent having to give FALSE feedback.

If NA or Did Not Use were an option such as on cruise ship feedback- If I did not use fitness center then I NA fitness center.

Because I don't think test feedback is fair- then I give FIVE STAR.

I just think there should be a way to opt-out feedback from test runs. Perhaps have a job catagory that says "Feedback will not be given"

I'm not sure I'm

I'm not sure I'm understanding your argument here?

If you use them for 30 minutes and are unsatisfied, why would you NOT want to leave them poor feedback, to save the next client the pain of working with them?

It sounds to me like maybe you're a little concerned over contractors ability to leave -you- feedback? What with the little tests (hint: if you're dealing with a contractor borderline enough to have to do something like that, save yourself the time and find someone else) you freely admit to? You 'May test to see how they react if there is no communication'? Yeah, you sound great to work for.

That, or you feel bad because you're trying to hire people at completely ridiculous rates, and don't want to crush their future potential when they promise they can deliver you the Magna Carta for $2.17 and predictably fail.

Clarifying

Brandon Tvedt wrote:

If you use them for 30 minutes and are unsatisfied, why would you NOT want to leave them poor feedback, to save the next client the pain of working with them?

I use tests as an interview tool. I dont ask contractors for free stuff.

Therefore, I should have the option to opt-out of feedback..and YES- a contractor should not be able to give feedback as part of the interview process.

Does that clarify?

Apparently, you CAN end a contract without leaving feedback

There were posts in the past that say that you CAN click past the "leave feedback" screen and end the contract without actually leaving feedback.

I haven't tried it myself because I always leave feedback but allegedly it is possible to do what you want to do. Try to do so next time, by looking for some way to get out of the "leave feedback" screen without leaving feedback!

Report back whether it worked or not!

reply

Petra R. wrote:
There were posts in the past that say that you CAN click past the "leave feedback" screen and end the contract without actually leaving feedback.

I haven't tried it myself because I always leave feedback but allegedly it is possible to do what you want to do. Try to do so next time, by looking for some way to get out of the "leave feedback" screen without leaving feedback!

Report back whether it worked or not!

I will give it a try.

I don't believe any of those posts said it was definitive.

THANKS

It helps a bit, but I still

It helps a bit, but I still am not seeing the drawback in complete honesty.

You're able to rate someone on:

Skills
Quality
Availability
Deadlines
Communication
Cooperation

Let's take a more in depth look.

Skills and Quality; those two look like the categories that might be at issue here under these circumstances. It's just an interview, you're not looking to damage people who don't work out, etc. I understand and applaud that impulse.

Availability, Deadlines, Communication, and Cooperation on the other hand, depend a lot less on skill and a lot more on attitude and willpower.

Let's assume you gave someone a 1/5 in Skills and Quality, but they tried VERY hard, and earned a 5/5 in the other 4 categories.

Together that would yield a 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 1 = 22/30, which is -extremely- close to a 4.0 rating (24/30).

Now, this is a person who is trying to their utmost (I'm both a contractor and an employer in the freelancing world, actual effort vs. scamming is -not- hard to identify with a bit of experience), with ZERO skill. In other words, not a very likely combination.

However, their ability to earn almost a 4.0 rating consistently, with consistent zero ratings in the skill-based portions of the assessments offered here, remains a mathematical fact.

Plus, your ratings to them are weighted based on the length of assignment, total dollars paid, and more. So test assignments are weighted only an eensie weensie bit when it comes towards computing their total feedback.

Long story short, I apologize for any tone I had earlier that may have suggested you were to blame here; I see your heart is in the right place. However, due to the wonders of statistics, you can -still- be honest, even on evaluating test contractors, at little cost, to either of you.

Hope that clarifies!

test run

Brandon Tvedt wrote:

Skills and Quality; those two look like the categories that might be at issue here under these circumstances. It's just an interview, you're not looking to damage people who don't work out, etc. I understand and applaud that impulse.

Availability, Deadlines, Communication, and Cooperation on the other hand, depend a lot less on skill and a lot more on attitude and willpower.

Your analytics make sense, however in 30 minutes I am more looking for a fit then skills and quality.

Almost everyone makes a 30 minute deadline and since they had the interview, I don't need them available, just their test project received.

I appreciate all the feedback, because I now understand why for most it is not an issue.

I realize I hire differently, so I just need to adjust.

Again, THANK YOU ALL for your input.