Should I Give this guy a chance before flagging him?
Jose O. 14 posts - United States - Joined Jan 16 2013
My first possible gig and its already going awkward and south.
Clients wants some illustrations for a project. Says he likes my illustrations but is not sure if I fit the style. Askes if I'd be willing to do a test sample. A this point I wasnt suspicious because I offered to make a sample when he said he wasnt sure my style would fit.. So maybe he baited me? I don't know.. But when he did finally ask for a sample, he basically asked for a completed image of what he was looking for.
So what I did was give him a sample of art in the style he was looking for, but didnt add the specific details he was asking for.
He Said he enjoyed my style and it fit perfect for the job. THEN comes the conversation of how, he's still waiting for "backers" on the project, but wanted to go forward anyway... I said great... Then he decided to play "Lets make a deal".. He could pay me now, the amount he offered for the job, OR I could wait until it was backed, and I could do the exact same job for 500 dollars more. I told him I was fine with the original price he was offering, and that I was excited to get started. He said great, and wanted to know if I wanted to work off of oDesk, and asked how much their cut. I gave him a very diplomatic answer, and I said it was 10%, and that while I could definitely use the whole amount, this is my first time here at oDesk and I wanted to build a Solid reputation here, hopefully starting by getting a great recommendation for the work I was about to do.
He said fine, that was all well and good, but now he had to get in touch with his "Partner." to make doubly sure that I was their final pick. (He' says after he already offered me the job).. He goes on to say if I wished to add any of the details I originally left out of the test sample in order to better my chances, (with his partners).
I once again politely declined to do any more work on the test sample as I felt its displayed enough of what he was looking for to make a final decision, but that was definitely excited and ready to get started..
He replied with a snark, stating it was only a suggestion and no ones twisting my arm, with a passive aggressive ";)..... " at the end.
I told him great and can't wait to hear from him.
keep im mind this whole conversation happened in one day, after i sent the sample work.
But now all of a sudden, Im getting radio silence. I see the job activity has 5 more people in
So I guess Im wondering, if I should flag this guy now before he does this to those potential contractors or am Im jumping the gun and wait a few days to see if he was indeed conferring with his partners..
Score: 0.0, Votes: 0