Back to oDesk.com » Love the way you work.

Welcome to the oDesk Community! Connect here with fellow clients, contractors, and oDesk staff. Please review our Usage Policy.

Newbie having difficulty finding right person to hire.

I'm new to Odesk and am looking to recruit someone as a virtual assistant for my USA-based insurance agency. My ad doesn't seem to be getting the response I had hoped it would. I wonder if I may be asking too much. So, I figured I would pop in the forum and get some feedback. Is what I am looking for not available?...

I need someone who...

speaks English as first language with little to no accent...no hard accent
can work USA business hours
can work full time 30 hours
is interested in long-term work
will work for a flat monthly fee of $500
can make outbound phone calls to my clients and prospects...but no cold calling
has excellent organizational skills
is proficient working in a cloud-based internet system where 75% of the work will be performed

How should I present my job posting to attract the best applicants for this?

Thanks!

Vote Result

+---------
Score: 1.0, Votes: 3
by

offering more than $4 an hour?

Exactly.

Your $4 an hour rate is ridiculous if you really want what is essentially a full-time, skilled worker. Someone probably told you that oDesk was the place to come for cheap labor. It is, if you want that labor to be virtually unskilled.

Double what you're offering and see what you get then.

I also totally agree

Frankly, those $ 3.86 or whatever you are offering is peanuts. Pay peanuts and you will get monkeys. A person who can do all you want will not work for an insultingly low rate simply because they do not have to. Would YOU work for well under $ 4.00 an hour?

So you are left with people who can't get paid more because they're not good at anything worth more money.

Double your rate, and see what happens. However, I would hazard a guess that you'll have to pay at least $ 10.00 an hour to get someone who can really do what you want, and has some experience. If you're willing to invest time in training then maybe $ 10 per hour will get you someone who has the basic talent, just needs developing.

Thanks

Petra R. wrote:
Would YOU work for well under $ 4.00 an hour?

So you are left with people who can't get paid more because they're not good at anything worth more money.

Of course I wouldn't work for $4/hr because I can't live on that here in the USA...but a lot of people can and do work for that in the Philippines.

I have no problem paying more for the right person, but if I start getting over $10/hr then I might as well hire someone here locally.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll increase the pay offered and see what happens.

Yes, of course

Kyle H. wrote:
Of course I wouldn't work for $4/hr because I can't live on that here in the USA...but a lot of people can and do work for that in the Philippines.

Yes, of course, a lot of Filipinos do accept $4/hr and even lower, but as Petra said, those who are qualified for your post will definitely ask more than that. It's not an issue of location, but of skills.

Don't judge a contractor by his fees

I am a teacher and I have trained pupils who have garnered some of the highest awards in the Regional and National Schools Press Conferences. I started out with $1 dollar, 300-500 words per article not because I was desperate for cash (my husband is a businessman) but because I wanted to prove to myself that I can do better than acquire millions in Cafe World or Farmville.
So please don't say that "Frankly, those $ 3.86 or whatever you are offering is peanuts. Pay peanuts and you will get monkeys." because some of us who charge low rates are professionals. We have also undergone intensive training and are probably more efficient than you. Well, we may not have the same test scores as you not because we are idiots; we just didn't have the time to prepare. More importantly, we have learned how to behave professionally by not labeling other people as “monkeys” just because they do not earn as much as we do.
"So you are left with people who can't get paid more because they're not good at anything worth more money." Sweetie, with my skills, I bet I can charge more than you if I wanted to. But if a fee of $19+ turns me into an insulting, offensive person- no thanks! I’d rather stay in my $5 bracket.

Why don't you, then?

Liberty Baldovino wrote:
Sweetie, with my skills, I bet I can charge more than you if I wanted to.

1) I am not your "Sweetie" and

2) Why don't you, then?

If you have all those fantabulous skills, why do you waste your "valuable" time doing contracts that don't require or utilise those skills, whatever they may be? (I can't quite work out what those "skills" are supposed to be, as there isn't any hint of them in your profile, portfolio or your test results........ A little word of advice: Proofread your overview and edit all the mistakes.....)

Maybe you're just bored and can't think of anything better to do? That's absolutely fine, you have every right in the world to alleviate your boredom by dabbling in "writing." Some of us, however, are professionals who don't expect our husbands to keep us, and have the business acumen to charge what we see fit rather than seeing oDesk as a hobby.

PS: You claim in your post here that you don't need the money, yet happily admit in that "blog" of yours:

Quote:
I'm not rich, as proven by my endless search for additional revenue

If you really "could" charge $ 20 plus you would, just to save yourself from having to "endlessly search" for "additional revenue!"

Liberty, I agree.

Liberty Baldovino wrote:
I
"So you are left with people who can't get paid more because they're not good at anything worth more money." Sweetie, with my skills, I bet I can charge more than you if I wanted to. But if a fee of $19+ turns me into an insulting, offensive person- no thanks! I’d rather stay in my $5 bracket.

I'd rather you stay in your $5 bracket also, to be honest.

Because then, I can actually go in and get the jobs that pay my rate without having you -- or anyone like you -- undercut me, and then Google for research, rendering content that is inaccurate and basically plagiarized from someone else.

You make my job so much easier. Thanks. Wink

BTW, do you know how many "writters" have a "passion" for writing? A lack of imagination and a wealth of platitudes tend to show up in an inexperienced "writter's" profile.

Liberty, I understand were

Liberty,

I understand were your coming from, but it seems that you are "Jumping the Gun" here. Though you have been a member of oDesk over a year already you have not really been into the Forums, being this is only your 2nd post. I would suggest read thru all the Threads regarding Asian Contractors, Low Rates, Scamming Clients etc. Just some of the points to which the comment was directed are;

1. Clients who are 3rd Party contractors, "Farmers" who takes advantage and exploit other contractors desperation, Nationality, low cost of living for getting low rates and reselling their work for much much higher profit. Profit that should have really gone to contractor who have done the work.(Assuming the work are original)

2. Contractors, as in the case of writers who charges "low rates" that are not who say they are. An believe me there are hundreds here or similar platforms. "Writers" that uses spinning software doing articles, Plagiarize if not copy other writers work and submit them as their own "original" works.

3. Clients who comes here in the forum who rants, complains and even malign Asian Contractors in General as those who are in my 2nd point.

The thing is, oDesk and other similar platform are supposed to be a Global Marketplace. Creating a place were Clients can find talents beyond boundaries regardless of Nationality and a providing Contractors/Freelancers opportunities beyond their localities. Thus creating a Global Standard.

It seems that all of your contracts here are Client Initiated and most job description are private. It tells me that you have not really put any effort or have bid on the contracts that you have. And you are not really aware of whats happening around oDesk. I see that you had a contract to write a book for $50, you may feel that you were not taken advantage off or exploited. As you have said "your here at oDesk not for the money". But, do know how many books was printed, Sold? Do still have the copyright and listed as author of that book? Or how much that book being sold? Good if your getting "Royalty" from it, but are you? I am damn sure that client is Grinning from ear to ear.

As it is, with your rates and just scanning your profile you are in the company of of contractors of my point #2 and some have better "profile and portfolios". You are saying you not, that you are better. But unfortunately it is what it seems.

If you are as good as you say you are and passionate with what you do, you should be advocating what is Right, even if you not in it for the money, what is Right is setting the standards that is fair and equated to the skills one possesses.

Nothing personal, just my observation.

?

Liberty Baldovino wrote:
But if a fee of $19+ turns me into an insulting, offensive person- no thanks! I’d rather stay in my $5 bracket.

Why would an hourly rate of $19 do this to you?

Puzzled

logic

So basically you are not asking for more money because you are afraid more money will turn you into an offensive person? How very...Jedi of you

On a side note, I had the exact same conversation with a writer. She had the exact same argument. I asked her why doesn't she put a higher price. She answered "because nobody would hire me then". The moral of the story is "we have the clients that we grow".

Eh?

Liberty Baldovino wrote:

Well, we may not have the same test scores as you not because we are idiots; we just didn't have the time to prepare.

I don't understand.

How would we have the time to prepare but you don't?

Surely preparing for tests

Surely preparing for tests defeats the object? They are short tests that question a sampling of a far wider field of knowledge. If the answers aren't clear from the start, it's unlikely that preparation for a test is going to prepare you for the task at hand.In other words if you need to prepare, low test scores are an accurate indication of your skills.

Well $500 a month is a bit

Well $500 a month is a bit higher for an entry level job in most Call Center in the country. Applicable for those;

1. Undergrad or New Graduates without any working experience at all and skill level of 5... they are after all are "potentials" base on initial assessment.
2. Has to undergo about 30 days of training, facilitated by 2 to 4 trainers.
3. Regular monitoring by a Team Leader and Trainer for progress.
4. Undergo a regular bi-monthly training and re-training for the next 4 months or so.
5. Undergo another test to see if skills has improve and are within set benchmarks.
6. And if have pass with flying colors, get a raise in pay and be a regular.

Note: 2 to 5 are always done under close supervision.

Mortality? bout 5 out 10 at least.

Yup, if your willing to invest and gamble for the the next 3 to 5 months or so...

Kyle, if you hire locally

If you hire locally you have to pay $ 10.00 plus all the costs a regular employer has to pay, please don't forget that. So your cost per hour would be massively higher than the $ 10.00

The point is, you are NOT in the USA or India or the Phillipines here. You are on a global, virtual marketplace. Where skills find their price level. You ask a lot, especially with the "accent free English...." That does NOT come at less than $ 4.00 an hour, it can't and it should not!

The trick is not for clients to find cheap quality in foreign countries, the trick is for quality contractors to find somewhere to live that has a cheaper cost of living.

If I moved to the cheapest place (with Internet) on the planet tomorrow, I would NOT charge less per hour. Why should I? My work is worth EXACTLY the same whether I am in New York or whether I am in the bush somewhere. If I ended up having "too much money" I'd just work less hours and enjoy a better quality of like as a result......

Your points are well-taken,

Your points are well-taken, Petra. Thanks.

Something nobody else has

Something nobody else has mentioned is timezones.

Not sure where you are; but right now it's

Sat: 10:39 in LA
Sat: 13:39 in New York
Sun: 02:29 in the Philippines

...so many cheaper parts of the world would want extra money to work unsocial hours if you want them to be available and perky during US business hours. Taking your job from the Philippines would mean never seeing a Friday night again -or a complete Saturday off- for example.

Bravo!!!

Bravo!!!

Point well taken.

Point well taken. Contractors should consider this too. We undergo a lot of training, frustrations, declines, unholy hours, demanding bosses, unwanted comments and many more just to get where we are and WE WORK HARD. Some pay for extra training (like me). Many don't get paid ( I had that too and that is part of our experience). Skills are never learned in one sitting. I see many job descriptions that are very demanding and then you see that they will hire the lowest bidder or for just A DOLLAR? Don't forget, we upgrade our computer/systems, pay for internet services, have a good working area and these don't come cheap. We also need to eat and feel good about ourselves so we can work well.

Back to job hunting I go... there are bills to pay.

Sigh...

Just stop asking for cheap labor, for God sake. $4/hour, no matter WHAT the location is not a good rate. It is insulting.

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” - Inigo Montoya

somewhat related question

You should present it with a higher price.

I LOVE jobs ads with titles like AMAZING PM / NINJA web developer / Fantastically Stupendous Terrific VA or requirement bordering on "Must be able to write code while crossing a chasm on a wire, singing Yankee doodle and juggling bananas". I love them mostly because I know that when I get to the bottom I will see "the price range must be below $3, $2" etc...

Seriously, what goes through somebody's mind when they post an ad like that? Do they really think that contractors who work for 3-10 times as much will read the ad and go "wow, if this guy hires me it means I am a Ninja / Guru. I should go ahead and apply"?

Admit it, at that price range you will NOT get a ninja, unless they are the "take the money and disappear" kind. Be honest with yourself first. You are trying to hire from the bottom of the pool. How many lions do you think live there?

Amazing, guru, rockstar,

Amazing, guru, rockstar, superstar, ninja, awesome. Those words say to me "you are going to be annoyed by this job description, especially when you read the budget"

you and me both

-Darren- J. wrote:
Amazing, guru, rockstar, superstar, ninja, awesome. Those words say to me "you are going to be annoyed by this job description, especially when you read the budget"

which is why i seldom read past those titles on those rare moments i visit the job boards. Sick

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.

it's a toss-up

which indicates the cheapest buyers - those looking for ninjas or those using language better suited to somebody trying to sell you a used car of doubtful origin. Ninjas versus Unmissable Opportunities. Hard to decide.