Back to oDesk.com » Love the way you work.

Welcome to the oDesk Community! Connect here with fellow clients, contractors, and oDesk staff. Please review our Usage Policy.

What's the matter? Does the cat have y'alls tongues? Or What?? :)

Hi everyone! I just noticed that there are only 2 posts in the Coffee Break Forum for the month of August? I know you all are working hard but isn't it nice to talk about something that has nothing to do with work? We can create our own get away? Smile

I mean, we have all these wonderful people from all over the world! We must have something cool to talk about.

Vote Result

++++++++++
Score: 10.0, Votes: 2
True :)

I guess asking how your new contract is going doesn't count as it's work related?

We had some real rain yesterday which finally broke the relentless heat down here (Southern Italy)

Other than that I'm up for talking about pets and horses?

You want rain?

You want rain? You can have ours! LOL

It's been raining non-stop here for several days now. A number of cities and towns are already flooded. All I hear on the radio are reports like "roads not passable to all vehicles," or "floodwater in this area is waist/chest deep." My house became an instant evacuation center for friends whose area has been flooded. I'm glad I live on higher ground, but electricity keeps on getting cut. Sigh.

Stay safe!!!

Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I said "much needed rain" - I know that while what came down here seemed pretty much like "lots of rain" for us it's almost certainly nothing at all compared what you lot are facing!

Please all stay safe!!!!

One of my

One of my clients said she wished they could have some of our rain, too. They have a drought over there now. Mother Nature does have a sense of humor. Smile

And don't play in the rain!

LOL! Or maybe as long as it isn't the 1st dirty rain of the year. Smile

Glad we're safe

Hi Aleah! We are the lucky ones who live in areas that are not prone to flooding. At least your place was safe and your friends have a place to go.

And as for my cats, even if we're high up and safe, they went crazy every time it rained hard; so that means practically most of the time. lol Then they would go on my bed sleep on my blanket and my pillows. My son's just glad we still got internet.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --
Friedrich Nietzsche

I have 2 cats

I have 2 cats of my own, but with the rains now, I've sheltered two more--street cats who don't have a place to stay. Poor things, they get so cold outside! They're now warm and cozy; one is under my computer table and another in my laundry basket Laughing out loud

aawwww

Aleah T. wrote:
I have 2 cats of my own, but with the rains now, I've sheltered two more--street cats who don't have a place to stay. Poor things, they get so cold outside! They're now warm and cozy; one is under my computer table and another in my laundry basket :D

That's so sweet and nice of you. Smile Cheers to that!

They're lucky you saw them and took them in Smile

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --
Friedrich Nietzsche

Will they stay? And what are your existing cats saying???

Aleah T. wrote:
I have 2 cats of my own, but with the rains now, I've sheltered two more--street cats who don't have a place to stay. Poor things, they get so cold outside! They're now warm and cozy; one is under my computer table and another in my laundry basket :D

How lovely!

Will they stay, and what are your existing cats saying about that?

There are so many stray cats here (Italy is full of stray animals) but people do feed them. You keep seeing them around and also see people feeding them every night. There is also a little old man on a motorized bicycle who drives around the city walls and feeds all the cats and kittens there.

The sensible thing would be to catch them, have them spayed, and release them to control the population.

I'd adopt another one but my existing cat will not tolerate other cats. He's fine(ish) about dogs but NOT cats!

Cats can be very possessive

Petra R. wrote:
I'd adopt another one but my existing cat will not tolerate other cats. He's fine(ish) about dogs but NOT cats!

Cats are usually like that: possessive of their "hooman." Even my 2 cats fight for my attention. But I'm still thinking of adopting another one Smile

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --
Friedrich Nietzsche

They're jealous

They're jealous of course, but it's a moot point. Once the rains let up, I sent the strays "packing." One of them peed and shat in my laundry. :'(

:(

Oh well, since they are stray cats they really don't know where they are allowed to do that and where they are not. At least they had a shelter during the bad weather. Smile

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --
Friedrich Nietzsche

Raining...

Raining cats and dogs, er.. literally Smile Glad that the rains have stopped though & good that Odesk sent those emails to our clients informing them of the situation. Never owned another cat since my first and last died, haven't moved on lol... but I have a dog now who I haven't been able to take out for a walk for days now and as some sort of vengeance, he just poop'd on my office chair..

Oh My!

I am so sorry to hear about that! That happened last year here but it was up to the knees in most houses except for mine also because it is also on higher ground! Be safe! I hope it dries up soon!

Wonderful!

Wonderful Petra! Thank you for asking! My client is a really nice guy!

OMG here it rained so hard last night that the electric was out half the night and the wind knocked down 1/2 of my birds paradise plants in my garden!

I got a new puppy! He is 1/2 boxer and 1/2 Bull Terrier. His mother tried to eat him, poor thing! So the owners brought him to me cause they know I am a sucker for little animals! He is 5 weeks and my 17 year old daughter named him Rocky!

I have a horse his name is Relampago. He is a quarter horse bay. Love him! Do you have any horses?

Darren can't access the

Darren can't access the forums. he hasn't received notifications of any kind telling him why. seriously, haven't you got "better things" to do - like posting the same advice already given out by community members in a thread, or being strangely absent when the topic in the post is critical - than unnecessarily keeping people out simply because they express themselves differently?

for pete's sake, bring Jacqui back here!

i dare the mod to delete this post.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.

What???

I can't believe this. Junelle, I think you should have a created a new topic for this.

Darren is an asset to the community, I hope this is just some glitch since he didn't receive a notification. I refuse to believe he has been banned.

Edit: Oh he did Crying You are not authorized to access this page.

[quote=Natasha R.]Junelle, I think you

Natasha R. wrote:
Junelle, I think you should have a created a new topic for this.

if i did that, there's no guarantee my post would see the light of day.

Quote:
Edit: Oh he did Crying You are not authorized to access this page.

yep, exasperating.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.

AWW That is not fair!

I thought Darren was vey helpful! Well, hopefully they let him back on soon! Sad

Jacqui

Junelle A. wrote:

for pete's sake, bring Jacqui back here!

I also think she was the best mod.

By the way, I remember when I created a topic about you when you got banned, nothing happened, this is why I am saying that things have changed here and you're right - for the worse!

Junelle A. wrote:
like posting the same advice already given out by community members in a thread,

lol I have noticed this too.

What??!!

Darren is one of the best around here, and has been of great help to a lot of people! I seriously hope that he will be back soon. This better not be a permanent act.

Quote:
like posting the same advice already given out by community members in a thread, or being strangely absent when the topic in the post is critical

I noticed this too. Several times!

Quote:
for pete's sake, bring Jacqui back here!

Yes, please!

Quote: This better not be a permanent act.

Natasa R. wrote:
Darren is one of the best around here, and has been of great help to a lot of people! I seriously hope that he will be back soon. This better not be a permanent act.

I sure hope it's not, I am going to be extremely sad if this is actually a permanent ban Crying I really like Darren, such a smart guy. There are so many helpful comments from Darren, many thanks for help given. This should count a lot.

and this has not been

and this has not been moderated for the use of the D word. the latest censor issue is about using a word that is in no way off-colored.

Gleba

I felt like this that day. Grade

To D*****! Smile

That was funny! :D

Now I can't take the word out of my head... GLEBA!!! Laughing out loud

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --
Friedrich Nietzsche

:-D

LOL I know that feeling! Big smile

That's why he's been quiet

I just thought he was simply busy with his clients. That's too bad.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --
Friedrich Nietzsche

It´s not the same

The forum is not the same without him. I miss him already. Crying

Me too :(

Natasa R. wrote:
I miss him already. Crying

Crying

Me 3 I wrote a long post but that would have seen me banned too

Natasha R. wrote:
Natasa R. wrote:
I miss him already. Crying

:cry:

Same here.

I'd like to say it's unbelievable but sadly it is probably par for the course. I wonder if it people can be banned by cutting-and-pasting, otherwise the most amazing part is that it was achieved at all....

At this stage I would like to share a little story.

Months ago someone asked a serious question about their situation. Someone who shall remain unnamed answered it and gave an answer that was clearly wrong, and how wrong it was would have been blatantly obvious if the person could have been bothered to take a quick look at the OPs profile.

Anyway, I answered the OP's question.

A bit later I saw went back to the thread and saw that the original wrong advice had been deleted, as had, unbelievably, my correct response, and instead there was a reply to the OP which said exactly the opposite of the original response, and precisely what I had said in the response that was deleted, and no, there was nothing at all in mine that could have raised even the most critical eyebrows.

I didn't say anything at the time, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Hmm

Quote:
A bit later I saw went back to the thread and saw that the original wrong advice had been deleted, as had, unbelievably, my correct response, and instead there was a reply to the OP which said exactly the opposite of the original response, and precisely what I had said in the response that was deleted, and no, there was nothing at all in mine that could have raised even the most critical eyebrows.

Unbelievable! Then again, why am I surprised? They did it to me too... twice.

Must have been looking for

Must have been looking for some brownie points, even if undeserved.

this is *not* pakistan.

this is *not* pakistan. this is a community forum filled with members from all parts of the world. not everyone is as easily offended as you, and i will not believe half of the active members have even been complaining simply because of colorful language. might as well stick to the countries forum and practice your moderating "skills" there.

you like that? people afraid to speak out because of that banhammer you're holding? power tripping much? you disgust me.

Jacqui happened to be the best, because of her professionalism, and especially for having a high tolerance level. she understood that we all had different cultures and learned to accept that, and not impose her own culture.

but besides Jacqui, there were a bunch of others who were as good.

ever think of a warning before banning? i don't think so. check out this post where Jacqui warned Anna that she's been receiving complaints.

https://www.odesk.com/community/node/11800

or how about a warning to members to keep remarks professional? nah, i guess that would be asking too much - you're not Joe.

https://www.odesk.com/community/node/14620

or how about locking a thread before things got out of hand? Olga managed to do this and it stayed a one-page story, but you'd rather keep quiet and let things escalate and just ban members outright, right?

https://www.odesk.com/community/node/9081
****? ****? and the award for*** moderator goes to... (fill in the blank.)

suck it. Wink

ETA: obviously, the cat DOES NOT have my tongue.

*[Removed by Admin]

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.

Exactly!

Junelle A. wrote:
this is *not* pakistan. this is a community forum filled with members from all parts of the world. not everyone is as easily offended as you

This is the main problem with the current mod. Although, I think she also has a hard time understanding that depending on the context, words have a different meaning.

Joseph C. wrote:
Darren, just in case. They are called 'Ransom Viruses'

-Darren- J. wrote:
I calls 'em ****.

*[Removed by Admin]

Cate B. wrote:
Junelle A. wrote:
lol. "removed by admin" but the word's still in the comment title. Big smile

and - pardon me Cate, but this is your domain Tongue - the deleted word simply means "a child born out of wedlock."

Yes, "bastard" is a legitimate English word -- NOT a curse word according to Merriam-Webster. And your definition is correct. Wink

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bastard

Natasha R. wrote:
-Darren- J. wrote:
I calls 'em ****.

*[Removed by Admin]

Stop picking on Darren. It's annoying to see his comments constantly *[Removed by Admin]. It's not like he called someone bastard. Did you see what he was referring to?.

Edit: lol or a dirty mind?

John B. wrote:
LOL - Forum *** time!

*[Removed by Admin]

Natasha R. wrote:
Why?? What is wrong with this word?

bang
Noun
A sudden loud noise.
Verb
Strike or put down (something) forcefully and noisily, typically in anger or in order to attract attention.
Adverb
Exactly: "bang in the middle of town".
Exclamation
Used to express or imitate the sound of a sudden loud noise: "firecrackers went bang".

Actually

Actually, I like Ayesha. I think she's much better than the previous mods we've had. I do agree that she tends towards being "overcautious" when it comes to certain words, choosing to err, I suppose, on the side of caution.

However, I would rather have that because it can be changed; she can decide, for example, to increase her tolerance, or broaden her understanding of cultural nuances. Unlike one former mod whose problem was really in comprehension, and that's something you can't do anything with.

I had forgotten about her

I'm quite sure I know who is the mod Aleah is referring to and I agree. I remember saying congrats to Ayesha, she was always most helpful, I enjoyed reading her comments. I kind of think the community lost when she became a mod, she was great when she wasn't a mod, an asset to the community.

I wonder if moderators are not allowed to interact? I miss Ayesha without the mod badge.

Good old times Smile

Ayesha S. wrote:
Again, we are going in circles, but just for the sake of argument, here goes:

First off, everyone's in recession! So let's deal with that as best as we can. But that doesn't justify the "so long as i get mine..." part. I'm not saying that just because I charge $25/hr someone else should too, but, if I DESERVE $25/hr no one should use my location as an excuse to pay me any less. If you have good quality and you are undercharging, then that's BAD business. You ask a big shot executive why he charges so much even though he can survive on a fraction of the rate, he'll tell you that's because he's worth it.

I have seen people from the same location charging different rates. Then one day the one charging less looks at another profile from the same location and same niche and matches the rate. Note here that there WAS a difference in quality too (I checked portfolios), so did the client pay the same rate, of course not, and after sometime, that contractor actually lowered the rate back to what it originally was. But if you do have quality you don't charge any less. Period.

Lets talk about recession now. What happens to the rates of tangible goods in recession? They increase! My grocery list is the exact same, yet the bill leaps skyward, why? Well it's because there's a recession which is causing inflation, and THAT leads to price hikes! and yet here we are talking about lowering rates for our services and products, and THEN work twice as long to make ends meet. If you really want to talk about recession, then people need to charge more to deal with it. How long can you go on lowering your rate? At one point it's just not feasible. You were into contracting and had to lower rates to survive that one very hard year right? That only shows that you still pulled in enough to survive>meaning you were charging a fat profit before. The online remote contractors, or the factory workers that get beaten into submission, you can't expect them to take a cut beyond a certain level.

Tell that factory worker to take a cut and see how you can beat her into submission, when it comes to survival, you can't beat people to go on living like that forever. I come from a country where the remote, rural areas are still affected by feudalism, they get beaten to work for less and lesser still, but then we see them rise, protest against the system and no amount of threats or beating will subdue them. The only important thing is that they need to KNOW and realize their worth and their rights.

I have worked with fairtrade companies, who offer decent wages as per quality, and still make a decent profit despite the recession. I'll give you an example. There's was client of mine from UK, he told me that the local agency quoted him £90/hr plus VAT for the job that I did for $25/hr and no VAT. He was extremely happy with the standard of my work, saved precisely $141/hr PLUS VAT, and yet managed to pay me a decent wage. What I don't like to see is clients who want everything under the sun and then some more for 25 cents! They are downright greedy, and if you tell me that they are justified just because the contractor can "survive" on that crazy wage by working day and night nonstop, I won't agree!

For the real world sweatshops you mentioned, there are fairtrade organizations working actively to eradicate the issue, but do we see anything happening for the online FREElancer? (and Yeah, I get the lance part, I have four generations of warrior/soldier blood)

I am not here saying that I want EVERYONE to charge more as it hurts my business. But I still disagree to the location and cost of living story. You say that location should decide the rate of a contractor. In essence, this also means that simply because someone comes from a country with a higher cost of living they SHOULD charge more even if they don't have good quality? Tell that to a client and I'd love to see you try to convince him!

And you forget there are ALWAYS decent people out there willing to pay for quality, but if we go around telling people that they should charge less simply because they don't NEED the extra cash, heck that makes no sense whatsoever to me.

And again, I never said go out and force everyone to do it, I am just raising a voice here, hoping, that someone will read this post and will be convinced enough to at least try to improve their life.

Moot, no way, but I ain't no hero out to save the world either, my husband is already doing the "save the country" part, so I guess I'll settle with one hero in the household!

I agree with you Natasha, but I wonder...

Quote:
heck that makes no sense whatsoever to me

I wonder if she's going to beep herself too for the same reasons she beeped us?

How oDesk moderation and forum suspensions work

Some of you have asked how the moderation and forum suspension in this community work. The oDesk community is very active and diverse. It’s full of helpful, well intentioned people who are here to share tips and best practices. We truly admire and appreciate the passion and knowledge each of you brings to this community and the support you lend your fellow oDeskers.

Our primary goal for moderation is to maintain professionalism and create a space where everyone feels comfortable to interact. We believe that maintaining a certain level of decorum is in the best interest of all involved as people from all different cultures and backgrounds are here to hire and to be hired. In order to maintain that decorum, we have standard procedures for moderation to enforce the Forum Rules.

In terms of when content is moderated, it can be a very fine line as to what is abusive or offensive and what isn’t. For example, while one person may be comfortable with a particular word, another may not. So what gets moderated depends on the situation, as well as our best judgement. You may not always agree with our decisions, but our intentions are always to maintain a professional forum where people feel comfortable exchanging ideas.

As for when suspensions take place, in almost all cases users violating the Forum Rules are given multiple warnings before they are suspended. If, after multiple warnings, the community member is still violating the rules, they will be suspended temporarily. A permanent suspension is warranted if the user continues to break rules even after a temporary suspension.

We’re sure there will be debates in the future about what gets moderated. We are proud to support this amazing community of oDeskers and we want to work with you to ensure all users have a positive experience that reflects the values of this community and the oDesk workplace. We encourage you to review the Forum Rules and if you have ideas for improving them and improving your community, we’d love to hear them!

Comments

Hi Mollie,

I appreciate the time you took in explaining how oDesk moderation and forum suspensions work. Personally, I would love to bring this up for discussion, especially since my previous questions were left unanswered.

Quote:
In terms of when content is moderated, it can be a very fine line as to what is abusive or offensive and what isn’t. For example, while one person may be comfortable with a particular word, another may not.

In a previous discussion, we questioned why some words were deleted by the mod, and the answer was:

Quote:
As far as what content gets moderated, there is a procedure in place….

I will stop right there because I want to focus on this part: “there is a procedure in place”. When we asked the mod to explain what this so called procedure is, she wouldn´t answer us.

So I am asking again, what is this procedure? Because so far, I have seen many words as well as whole comments being deleted for no reason at all.

You said:

Quote:
For example, while one person may be comfortable with a particular word, another may not.

Who are you referring to? The mods? You mean they are the ones who are uncomfortable with some words?

Then why not delete the mod´s own word as well?

Quote:
heck that makes no sense whatsoever to me

Some people associate the “heck” with “h*ll”, so why should this be better? Do you see my point?

Let me ask you something, and I would appreciate an honest answer. Please read below and tell me which part is against the forum rules:

Quote:
I actually had to read this a couple of times because you lost me for a moment. I didn´t know who was who and who was looking for a job. :bigsmile:

So which part is violating the forum rules? When the mod deleted my comment (and no, this is not the same comment that got deleted in the other thread), I contacted the support and asked them why. They told me it was violating the forum rules. I asked them again which part was violating the forum rules, but they wouldn´t answer my question. Instead, they gave me a warning and referred me to the forum rules and told me to read them carefully. Read what, exactly? Which forum rule are you guys talking about?

I am seriously trying to understand what your so called procedure is…

Quote:
our intentions are always to maintain a professional forum where people feel comfortable exchanging ideas.

Funny you should mention that, because I don´t feel comfortable at all when my comments are being deleted for no reason, when I am getting warnings, and on top of that, being lied about it.

Professionalism? Don´t even go there Mollie…

Quote:
We encourage you to review the Forum Rules…

To the point my eyes were bleeding…

Quote:
As for when suspensions take place, in almost all cases users violating the Forum Rules are given multiple warnings before they are suspended. If, after multiple warnings, the community member is still violating the rules, they will be suspended temporarily.

So let me get this straight. Let’s say the mods delete 20 of my normal comments and I get 20 warnings, you mean suspension will eventually take place? Really? For posting normal comments?

Quote:
We encourage you to review the Forum Rules and if you have ideas for improving them and improving your community, we’d love to hear them!

Sometimes it´s not the forum rules, Mollie. It´s the mods.

And since you asked... why not do something about #8?

[quote=Natasa R.] Sometimes it´s not the forum rules, Mollie.

Natasa R. wrote:

Sometimes it´s not the forum rules, Mollie. It´s the mods.

you bet! obviously, the current mod just basically wants everyone to "talk" like her. geez. kinda makes the statement "The oDesk community is very active and diverse." pretty useless, if you ask me.

like i said, nobody is complaining except the mod. she's the only one who gets offended - so this place is all just a one-man complainant-judge-jury-and-executioner forum. why put up a forum at all?

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.

It should be noted

Natasa R. wrote:

Quote:
As far as what content gets moderated, there is a procedure in place….

I will stop right there because I want to focus on this part: “there is a procedure in place”. When we asked the mod to explain what this so called procedure is, she wouldn´t answer us.

So I am asking again, what is this procedure? Because so far, I have seen many words as well as whole comments being deleted for no reason at all.

Words previously allowed.

Permanent suspension

Mollie C. wrote:

As for when suspensions take place, in almost all cases users violating the Forum Rules are given multiple warnings before they are suspended. If, after multiple warnings, the community member is still violating the rules, they will be suspended temporarily. A permanent suspension is warranted if the user continues to break rules even after a temporary suspension.

I just hope each case is analyzed before a permanent suspension. We don't have many like Darren, he was always helping and he's very knowledgeable. Surely this must count for something?


Cultural nuances
Smile

what i'd like to know is when

what i'd like to know is when is a forum member not given a warning, and why posts that were not offensive have to disappear?

Natasha, nothing to worry about - Darren hasn't been permanently suspended. but with the way things are, i highly doubt he'd be running back to the forums once the ban's been lifted. i mean, after the way he's been treated? Sick

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.

No warning

I am also curious as to why he did not get a warning.

Junelle A. wrote:
but with the way things are, i highly doubt he'd be running back to the forums once the ban's been lifted. i mean, after the way he's been treated? :sick:

Most likely Sad

In the interest of fairness

Natasha R. wrote:
I am also curious as to why he did not get a warning.
:(

Darren DID have warnings, and he will be the first to admit that he has, at times, quite deliberately "pushed it" just as I will perfectly cheerfully admit do having done so (This is NOT a criticism of Darren, it's my inner Libra striving for fairness) Wink

As long as it is only temporarily and he's allowed back.....

Now back to cats. Have you

Now back to cats.

Have you ever tried to grab a cat's tongue?

I still need all my fingers

I still need all my fingers to work.

/// Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it's the courage to continue that counts.

I have! Once, when I was

I have! Once, when I was feeling a bit evil, I grabbed my kitties tongue while she was yawning! I got a very nasty look for it too! lol

I haven't

Have you tried it? LOL

I have tried, don't ever

I have tried, don't ever remember being fast enough to catch it.

Page: