Assignment 3 (10 marks)
To become familiar with file system structure and design and write a simple script.
In this assignment you will get experience designing file systems.
For this part of the assignment, I want you design a file system structure for a particular scenario. Place your responses in a PDF file called ass3.pdf.
Neutron Beam Instrument Facility at LucasHeights(http://www.ansto.gov.a
The new neutron facility has the following storage requirement:
produced by researchers. The file system should be around 500Gb. Backup/Redundancy is an issue.
In addition to this the server provides central home directories,.
There are however various classes of user, each with different requirements.
1. Support Staff, those who manage operational aspects of the reactor (no more then 500)
2. Researchers – those who do real science (no more then 200)
3. Fellows – those who do science but are not staff of the organization (no more then 50)
4. Visitors – those who are given accounts for various reasons (unknown number)
Each user gets a home directory with a quota based on their type. The quota’s are:
1. Support Staff get 15,000Mb
2. Researchers get 50,000Mb
3. Fellows get 50,000Mb
4. Visitors get 10,000Mb
Researchers and Fellows must have their storage guaranteed.
The performance of user directories need not be terribly great but there must be a degree of backup/redundancy.
A high performance computer (SUN M3000) has been purchased to provide this appropriate storage. The computer has 16 SCSI disks each with a capacity of 3TB spread across 8 controllers (0 – 7), each controller can have a maximum of 7 devices. The devices look like /dev/dsk/c0t1d0. The machine has roughly 16Gb of main memory. The host is to run the Solaris (Sparc) operating system.
To achieve this do the following:
considering future growth.
4. Clearly articulate how you have planned for growth and backups.
5. Finally document the commands used in Solaris to export the specified volumes as NFS shares.
6. The preferred method to backup is either using zfs send or r sync.With this in mind write a script to backup volumes to are motehost.To do this you will need to create another VM,set up the appropriate trusts and replicate the volumes using either of the above methods to the target. Document the process.