Great full-stack developer for live HTML5 Matching + Scheduling Service- HTML5, Advanced JS, Python, MongoDB
We're seeking a reliable, conscientious and competent senior/lead developer for Minidates.com, an innovative HTML5 mobile web app that matches members by compatibility, location and schedule and sends them actual in-person dates.
MiniDates uses a sophisticated, proprietary people and schedule-matching platform, developed in the latest open-source trends: HTML5, various JS libraries including Backbone.js, Python, Tornado, & MongoDB.
MiniDates launched over a year ago to critical acclaim. We have thousands on a mailing list we haven't even leveraged yet. We're hungry to grow the user base, expand cities, get press and possibly seek funding - and to do so we need dev help to get critical features and capabilities in place! We urgently need to implement a few features, and we need your help!
We're seeking an full-stack dev to join our team and help lead and accelerate development on critical new features. You should know your way around HTML5 and CSS as well as Python and DBs.
We currently have one back-end dev, a product lead/owner, and some UAT-style QA testers in the NYC region in the US, and a competent front-end dev in the Czech republic. We do remote team management through Skype. The project is managed in a private Github repo: /Beverlywmay
Our tech lead has spent lots of time standardizing and optimizing the environments, cleaning up code, upgrading the core matcher algorithm that powers the service, and creating a fairly straightforward environment installer. Though not perfect, we've invested a lot of effort in cleanup and standardization so you can be productive working on actual new features.
Why work on this? The tech stack is cool, the code's been cleaned up (mostly), you'll have direct impact, you'll work independently and can lead key decisions on your parts of the project, your code will DEFINITELY be used on a live production environment by real users, and there's huge potential in this market with recent competitors growing users fast and gaining substantial funding.
Here's what you'd be working on:
1. Support multi-city in the front-end registration and user flow for locations (currently MD only supports NYC)
2. Implement Yelp API to replace current Citysearch API for date venue search and listings
3. Simplify the front-end flow by fixing some known UX and UI issues
4. Develop Android and then IoS apps using PhoneGap (currently about 50% done for Android)
5. Implement Paywall in a freemium model.
6. Support ongoing production operations with the odd Nagios alert or production bug that requires an immediate fix (not frequent)
Our goal is to get #1-3 done by Nov, and #4 apps out by Dec, in time for the winter dating spike.
* helping develop a sophisticated application in HTML5, JS, MongoDB and Python (with NginX, Tornado, Backbone, HTML5, JQuery, Twilio and PhoneGap as the other parts of our stack!)
* proactive and thoughtful- ability to work from partial specs and incomplete Stories, and to ask questions when necessary
* carefulness, pride and attentiveness with your own code. Testing your own code thoroughly BEFORE pushing to Dev.
* 3+ years of extensive professional experience in Python and Python web frameworks
* Comfort with shell scripting (bash, make, sed)
* 3+ years experience HTML5 and CSS
* 2+ years experience in server-side programming and working with DBs, preferably with MongoDB (though any DB should suffice)
* Bonus: experience with any of the following: Python unit testing libraries, Backbone.js, Tornado, Twilio API, Yelp API, PhoneGap, Nagios, IoS and Objective C, Java and Android OS, Paypal API, Google Payments API, IoS payments API, installing or configuring Linux cloud-hosted web servers like Rackspace and NIX system administration
* Outstanding communication skills in English
* Ability to work quickly and with minimal errors and almost no supervision
* willingness and ability to accurately communicate your and the project's status on a daily and weekly basis
* Experience doing self-QA and in leading technical QA. The code you submit should work-- because you've already tested it yourself.
* Be a quick study!
* Decent at estimating your projects -time & deadlines
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU HAVE EXCELLENT ENGLISH, PYTHON & MODERN JS EXPERIENCE.