Linux Systems Administrator - Massively Multiplayer Game Servers
Massively Multiplayer Games Studio is seeking a part time Linux Systems Administrator to be a key member of the Operations Team. Within the role you'll manage our Linux server architecture, deployment, integration, maintenance, monitoring and support. The role is expected to be from 10 up to 20-25 hours per week, including hours provisioned for "on call" duties in the case of unexpected outages if these should occur. We have a very solid setup, so dont expect many issue, if any at all.
Day-to-day tasks include remote configuration, automated installations, systems integration and architecture, troubleshooting, hardening and deployment of Linux and Linux-based application servers on company administered hardware as well as remote datacentre hardware. Our development servers are in-house, our production (live) servers and CDN are on AWS. We have 29 live servers and another 20 setup and on standby for scale as required. Our growth is slower than projected at the moment and is not expected to change dramatically or see any sudden or problematic spikes over the next 6 months.
Start Date: asap
Key responsibilities include:
1. Manage and maintain operational Linux environment with 15+ servers and install packages and applications (Specific knowledge of RHEL/CentOS would be a plus!)
2. Maintain uptime targets including monitoring and reporting as well as monitoring system performance, backups and daily jobs
3. Deploy web applications and implement/improve automated deployments
4. Work with developers to architect and enhance applications
5. Plan for future capacity, redundancy and scaling, and assist as needed with stress and load testing initiatives
6. Manage Incident management- this role will be responsible for owning outages from reporting to resolution.
7. Be available afterhours to respond to outages or other issues
• 3-4 years’ experience as a Systems Engineer or Systems Administrator
• Experience with high volume and multi-server environments supporting highly available, customer-facing services
• Experience scaling web applications in a highly available environment
• In-depth understanding of TCP/IP networking fundamentals, including basic network engineering and routing
• Experience with web application server (Apache2, Tomcat)
• Experience with opensource databases, specifically PostgreSQL
• Experience with opensource software
• Solid scripting experience (bash, perl)
• Knowledge and understanding of security and firewalls and secure best practices
• Knowledge and understanding on multiplayer game/socket server would be a plus
• Experience with the monitoring and alarm platforms (Nagios, Munin) and adding/implementing custom plugins
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, ELB etc)
• Experience with Content Delivery Networks (CDN) to serve global audiences
• Experience with configuration management, preferably Chef.
• Continually strive to automate and streamline operations and maintenance processes by identifying areas of improvement, writing scripts, and documentation
• Excellent communication, organization, project prioritization, and time management skills
• Keen troubleshooting skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and without direct supervision
• Willingness to work after hours and weekends on occasion as required by running a production environment; willing to be "on call" during these hours as needs arises
Skills: linux, games, troubleshooting, engineering, amazon, management