We are looking for an operations manager to oversee the continued development of a few websites we own.
You will be supporting an executive that needs help managing their time and seeing that the strategy that they develop is being mapped out, delegated, implemented and completed.
All I want from you is "YES, it will be done" and by what date. If you tell us it will be done, it must be done by a specific date. I will not work with anyone who does not deliver. If you have a difficult time keeping your appointments, or delivery dates with your team, don't respond to this job.
We only want to give directions once and don't like to repeat ourselves. So if you find yourself always asking clients to repeat themselves, this job is not for you. You must be a professional.
The job will have different duties including:
1. Managing the web development effort. This will involve overseeing developers, web designers, and other staff. Making sure they are staying up-to-date on their work and creating the highest quality results.
2. Manage the delivery of projects. Assigning tasks to other contractors, ensuring on time delivery, resolving issues and verifying the quality of work.
3. Creating project plans with a timeline and assigning milestones.
5. Working with me to understand each website's long-term goals.
6. Recruit and coordinate the efforts of various contractors on oDesk.
7. Updating procedures to streamline work flow
8. Having a daily status meeting with me (15 minutes at most)
9. Making sure everything gets done without hand-holding from me.
10. Make decisions and communicate trade-offs and risks; drive key decisions across projects.
11. Diligently maintain and create a standard operating procedure or business training manual for the business
1. Prior project management experience with a technical background and basic understanding of coding.
2. Excellent organizational and planning skills with attention to detail
3. Good managerial skills to motivate and encourage developers.
4. Top 20% or better English language scores
5. Familiarity with the usual MS office and web (Google Docs, etc) applications
6. Thorough knowledge of Odesk and experience hiring and managing a team
7. Responsive, clear, reliable communication with me and contractors
8. Excellent feedback for past jobs. (4.9-5.0) ratings
9. Willing to learn about the industry each website is competing in. Smart enough to learn quickly.
10. Able to work during USA timezone
11. We need someone who can be given instructions over the phone or Skype and ensure the project is delivered from start to finish. We do not have time to type out projects, so someone who can work autonomously.
12. We would like someone who can take a verbal call, a few notes and translate these into working projects without me hand-holding. Very Important!
13. Be fiscally responsible
1. What is your background in managing, developing, or maintaining websites?
2. Be specific: How would you find an experienced mobile web developer at a competitive rate for a project that needed to be completed in 3 days?, how would you find and recruit the best candidate?
3. What times are you online usually ( in your time zone )?
4. Have you recruited/hired people on odesk before?
6. What makes a good website? (short answer)
7. Tell me in less than 5 sentences or bullet points why you are a great fit for this position. Be succinct. Large blocks of cut and pasted text will likely exclude you from consideration.
8. Include any tasks you feel you wouldn't be able to perform (or simply you wouldn't like).
- We value experience. But our emphasis will be on finding someone who is responsive, dedicated and produces quality results.
- Depending on the number of qualified candidates we may ask you a few follow-up questions.
In the beginning this will be a part-time position (5-10 hours per week). This will be increased as you gain more experience and demonstrate the ability to do more tasks.
Thanks for applying!