System Administrator - Part Time on a long term basis
Closed - This job posting has been filled.
For some reason many people started bidding $20 and $30 / hour. Get real! This is a part time System Administrators job, not some get rich quick scheme.
We need an experienced System Administrator who can provide us System Admin support.
We need on the average 5 hours of support a week.
We are in the US Central Time Zone (-6:00 GMT).
You must be able to provide us telephone support via Skype or your preferred method. When we have a system down, we need immediate help.
When we don't have a crisis, we still need you to login at least Once a week for:
1) Bandwidth monitoring
2) Backups of files and database.
3) Error log analysis
4) System logs analysis
5) Installing recommended patches, security fixes, and bug fixes if required.
6) Monitoring Spam and virus filtering system
7) Monitoring services and performance of key services (HTTP, Email, DNS, etc).
8) Ready to install required softwares for developers and customers.
9) Monitoring CPU load information, Memory usage, Applications performances and Network traffic information etc.,
10) Content based checks for database driven sites
We would also like you to periodically do a:
- Nessus Remote Audit
- Rootkit Check and rkhunter installation
- Correct all server-side medium and higher level issues identified by theNessus audit
- Disable services not typically used on your server type
- Secure root level access
- Harden SSH settings
- Apply recommended settings for your control panel, e.g. Plesk or WHM
- Firewall Configuration
- Final Nessus Audit
- OS/Control Panel updates
Our biggest concern is when there is a system crash. Recovery at times is not that simple and requires re-starting some services and doing database repair.
We are an e-commerce company and if our servers are down, our business basically shuts down.
1. Two Linux Debian servers. On our webserver, our application is inside a container.
2. One Windows 2008 Small Business Server - doing nothing except being the domain controller
3. One application server with Windows 2003 server acting as a repository for shared data and applications.
3. Seven Windows 7 clients
4. We do not use any management software. That means we don't have cPanel or Plesk or any such thing. Yes we are stingy.
Let me re-iterate. We need to have telephone support - if we have servers down, we need immediate attention between 8:00 to 6:00 Central US Time (-6:00 GMT). If you are a one man company, that means we will wake you up at night and call you on your vacation also. If you don't want to be disturbed at night or on you vacation, then this may not be for you.
Skills: linux, system-administration, analysis