Ruby on Rails / Spree commerce developer - 1-2 months fulltime
Closed - This job posting has been filled and work has been completed.
We're in the middle of building a new e-commerce website that sells furniture.
The site is developed in the latest version of Spree Commerce (spreecommerce.com), which is build on top of Ruby on Rails. Spree commerce experience is not needed, but would be nice. Ruby on Rails skills and a disciplined test driven development approach is more important.
We're going to finally launch in August.
The project is atypical compared to ordinary webshops, as we've built a vender-login-based webshop, where separate furniture stores have their own account and can log in to add their own products to the store.
As a customer, I'll have the feeling as buying from one store - but behind the scenes, we're collecting the order from possibly several different furniture stores.
Our big challenge is to get the furniture stores to upload enough products for us to provide enough value for the end-customer. This is where you come in.
We've contacted several furniture producers and distributors and gotten all the product data from them instead of the furniture stores themselves. Instead, we want the furniture stores just to let us know what brands they carry, and we'll automatically add the products to "their profile".
This represents several problems that we need your help to solve:
1. We've got data from the furniture producers / distributors. We need funcationality to import these data.
2. We've also received lists from the products / distributors in terms of what product-numbers each furniture store has rights to sell. We need to ble able to import these lists to grant access to the furniture stores.
3. From the furniture store perspective: Some of the products haven't got prices: we need an interface where the furniture stores can set their own price.
4. Frontend shop representation: as a customer buying furniture, I need to see which stores have the particular product I'm viewing - and at what prices.
5. ... possibly a whole lot more.
Consider this a first task to see how well we work together. We’re looking for a long-term contractor to develop and maintain this website and others. The ideal developer has:
1. Successfully developed Ruby on Rails applications
2. Strong experience in general website development
3. Is familiar with webshops, media sites and their development
4. Has great organizational and time-management skills to get work done on schedule
5. Is not afraid of HTML and CSS and has a developer's eye for design.
6. I used to working in an agile environment with user stories, iterations, testing - and github.
How to apply
Please respond with a cover letter that includes the following:
1. Your Rails experience, including examples of past work
2. Your familiarity with webshops and any contributions you’ve made on them
3. The way you would think about working on this project
In addition, please submit examples of webshops and social websites that you think have good features and describe how those features would interact.
About the company
Our company is a Scandinavian based lifestyle print magazine company. We have several interior decoration, car, fashion, and other lifestyle magazines.