Converting raw satellite cloud data to image files
Closed - This job posting has been filled.
We are seeking a program or suite of scripts to run on a 64-bit Centos server to extract standard format imagery (eg PNG/JPG/GeoTIFF) from raw cloud data contained in weather satellite data files.
We are a weather forecasting firm, and we currently source raw HRIT satellite data files from the Japanese MTSAT satellite. We currently use McIdas-V to visualise those data files (since that application has a reader for this type of raw files), but would like increased stability and flexibility of processing that data on our Linux server.
We are seeking a programmer to develop a program or a suite of scripts that will:
- run on our 64 bit Centos server
- take those raw data files as inputs
- possibly take some arguments describing what elements to process (eg IR1 band, brightness temperatures elements), or alternatively just process all elements within the data files.
- process the data to extract those elements
- provide standard image outputs that we can later georeference (eg PNG, JPG), or provide directly georeferenced outputs (eg GeoTIFF)
We are open to varied programming languages to achieve this, but we would need the source code to be able to potentially make modifications over time. A suite of scripts that invoke existing packages would be suitable as well, preferably GPL packages.
- experienced programmer who can create well documented code
- someone who looks for the elegant, and often simple, solutions.
- 4 or 5 star rating
- someone who speaks English well
- if you think you are interested and capable, please have a look at the documents at https://mscweb.kishou.go.jp/operat
- if the project looks achievable to you, please send through your details, quoting MTSAT, and briefly describing how you expect to approach this project. Please let us know if you would like a sample file to have a look at.
- should we wish to proceed, we will be happy to provide the sample data and pay for 1-2 hours work for a quick proof-of-concept.
We are anticipating the deliverables being the source code, instructions for compiling/installing, instructions for running the code.
Given the well documented file format, we are anticipating this will be a relatively small job, but please feel free to discuss if you are interested but think it will be more effort than we anticipate.
Skills: linux, batch-scripting