Python Web Utility Script - ~400 Lines of Code - Several Jobs Available
Closed - This job posting has been filled and work has been completed.
I’m Mike, and my company is looking for a skilled Python programmer to assist in our “deal-finder” web scraping scripts that scour e-commerce stores for the best deals.
You are bidding on a single script, written in Python 2.7.
Similar scripts average 400 lines of code, and are between 200 and 600 lines long.
SKILLS REQUIRED - You will need the following skillset:
- Expertise in XPath
- Good Regular Expression (RegEx) skills
- High attention to detail
- Adherence to Pythonic / PEP 8 conventions
- Knowledge in MySQLdb a plus (we’ll use this later)
TOOLS PROVIDED - We will provide the following tools:
- A base class and a skeleton shell to get you started.
- Written documentation explaining the functions we need
- An example script that I wrote (yours should strive to be cleaner and better!)
- Network connections, if needed
For a good programmer, the biggest challenge is proper planning and analysis of the website you are viewing, and fine tuning of the small details. We like clean data!
You are to return to me a well-written, well-documented Python 2.7 script that will output a CSV file of all data I need. The CSV functions do not need to be “pretty” -- I will be replacing them with our Database functions.
LONG-TERM Work Available:
This could potentially turn into a longer-term job for you. We have about 20 more of these to write, and are looking for someone consistent.
1. Briefly explain how you approach problems with Xpath
2. Tell me about an awful regular expression problem you had, and how you went about solving it
3. Tell me your development environment (OS/Distribution, Text Editor, version control, etc)