An international news aggregation site seeks bi-lingual writers for pay-per-article work as Country Editors. This supplemental position is an effective resume-builder for those who work in translation, communications, and media, and works best for people who avidly consume news on daily basis. The ideal candidate will:
1. Be completely fluent in both English and the primary language of the country they are covering.
2. Possess a deep knowledge of both current affairs and the newspaper/media culture of the country they are covering.
3. Have the ability to quickly craft engaging, high-quality copy in English, as well as efficiently summarize the most interesting components of a long article into a brief paragraph.
The duties of a freelance country editor include:
1. Reviewing a country’s online newspapers regularly and selecting any noteworthy articles, based on both the criteria we provide and the candidate’s own expertise on current affairs.
2. Writing a headline and a short summary (2-4 sentences) in English of each article.
Editors then submit their article with headline and summary to our managing editor, who chooses the best stories of the day and posts them on our website. If your article is chosen, you will receive payment and a byline on our site with your summary. Potential for growth within the company is available for those who regularly contribute articles we choose to feature.
Countries of particular interest include: Egypt, Russia, China, France, Germany, Mexico, South Africa, Brazil, Spain, India, and Pakistan, although we are willing to consider others if a qualified individual applies. To apply, please provide a sample article, with headline and summary in English, and let us know your required payment per article.