Bala Abubakar brings to this project several years of Finance, Operations Management, Banking, Lecturing, Human Resources Management, Compliance Management and SME Development experience. Having worked in Nigeria, he also brings with him extensive and sound knowledge of DFID, UN, USAID
Bala Abubakar brings to this project several years of Finance, Operations Management, Banking, Lecturing, Human Resources Management, Compliance Management and SME Development experience. Having worked in Nigeria, he also brings with him extensive and sound knowledge of DFID, UN, USAID, ECHO and other donor rules & regulations, including standards and a sound local knowledge of the Nigerian funding environment. He has worked as Finance and Administration Coordinator with GRM International. He worked with PACT Incorporated in Nigeria (ICARE Project funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation/DFID) where he was responsible for general ledger maintenance and reconciles assigned general ledger accounts, including sub-grants and sub-awards; develops monthly and quarterly financial reports for the review/approval of the Senior Accountant; prepare and follow up with transactions to ensure that payments are accurately captured, timely and complete; reviews sub-grant and sub-award financial reports, taking initiative to resolve problems in accordance with policies and program objectives; provide general orientation and support to sub-grantees on financial reporting; follow-up with 3rd party transactions, ensuring that all related documentation are submitted such as TA for sub-awards, deposit slips are properly filed etc. Provides support in procurement activities for Pact’s office and sub-grantees; provides support in preparation of bid analysis, negotiation memos, purchase orders and other procurement documents in accordance with Pact’s and donor policies and procedures; processing all staff expenses, ensuring follow-through and filing. He also worked with the International Organisation for - UKTB finance unit in Abuja. Once a Finance Officer for the DFID funded project, Mobilizing for Millenium Development Goals (M4D), He managed the finance and administration process in Jigawa Office (including its design), guiding the team to target activities that deliver directly against the outcome indicators, managing the disbursement of funds, supported the Grants Manager in administering grants monitoring and evaluation component of the project as well as built the capacity of partner organizations. He has worked for various international and local organizations, including; Support to National Malaria Programme(DFID/UKAID); Sigma Pensions Limited; Standard Microfinance Bank Limited, Volunteer Lecturer (Consultancy Services Unit) Federal University of Technology Yola, First Bank Nigeria PLC, Sunny Okon and Co (Chartered Accountants), Part time Lecturer, Federal University Dutse etc. He has participated in numerous volunteer activities supported by the United Nations Development Programmes(UNDP). He has a very good understanding of USAID OMB Circulars. He also demonstrate skills for excellent mentoring and coaching abilities with superior leadership quality; able to motivate, develop, supervise, train and evaluate projects to ensure organizational objectives are achieved.
His areas of core competence are:
• Review, preparation and compilation of financial statements in accordance with the reporting framework comprising of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), donor requirements and applicable local laws.
• Audit planning, evaluation of control activities and audit of the financial statements in accordance with the International Standards on Auditing (ISAs) and donor compliance needs.
• Evaluation of Internal Control System to identify deficiencies in the system and suggesting remedial procedures through Internal Control Memorandum (management letter) to rectify the control weaknesses.
• Ability to design and install a very strong Accounting and Administrative System.
• Outstanding accounting and problems solving skills with the ability to handle rapidly changing schedules and shifting work priorities.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills with the flexibility and experience required to remain highly focused and self-possessed in fast-paced.
• Superior ability to concurrently manage numerous projects while meeting rigorous performance standards and demanding schedules.
• A hands-on team member and critical thinker who can quickly learn new systems, develop useful expertise, and produce significant contributions.
• Proven capacity to successfully render professional grade record keeping system and financial plans using numerous Accounting softwares.
• Extensive exposure of Microsoft Office including designing of Microsoft Excel-based programs to help expedite the audit work at clients with no automated information systems.
• Human Resources Management.
• General administration and logistic support.
• SME Development Strategist
• Facilitation skills.