I am a freelance translator based in Germany with a professional background in wildlife biology (PhD) and the tourism/catering industry. For the last 10 years I have lived and worked in the UK, South Africa, Tanzania and Canada, where
I am a freelance translator based in Germany with a professional background in wildlife biology (PhD) and the tourism/catering industry. For the last 10 years I have lived and worked in the UK, South Africa, Tanzania and Canada, where I have developed near-native English language skills. Now I put my professional skills, language proficiencies and cultural awareness to good use to produce accurate yet natural sounding translations for best results with your target audience. Because simply translating words and grammar is not enough!
In my work, you will not find a single word translated by machine translation (Google translate etc.); it is paramount to me that each translation, while retaining the mood and intention of the original text, also flows naturally, incorporates cultural and linguistic subtleties and therefore is easily understood by the respective readers.
I work diligently, efficiently and give every project my full commitment, as client satisfaction and delivering quality work are my top priorities. I love expanding my knowledge through research in various areas, yet I am best at translating projects within my fields of expertise:
Tourism, Travel & Outdoor Recreation
Food, Nutrition & Gastronomy.
• Academic and popular science articles, dissertations and other theses, grant or job applications, reports, presentations, CVs
• Animal and plant guide books
• Websites and magazine articles
• Text books, cook books
• Menus and event plans
• Travel guides and travelogues, tour itineraries, hotel descriptions and reviews
• Promotional or information brochures and pamphlets.
Of course I also translate any general text (e.g. letters, speeches etc.) for you.
Some of my translation and editing projects include:
• Qwner's manual for 48ft sailing catamaran (EN-DE)
• Website content for yacht charter website (EN-DE, ongoing)
• Website content for hotel booking website (EN-DE, ongoing)
• Annual reports for shark protection NGO (DE-EN)
• Articles for online how-to-guide provider (EN-DE)
• Immigration and tour operator websites (EN-DE)
• Travel articles (EN-DE)
• Proofing/editing of published German novel (58000 words)
• Edits and translations of academic CVs and applications (EN)
• Translation/interpreting as part of customer service for German hotel/sailing guests
A brief overview of my professional background and related skills:
• Biologist (PhD), studied at universities in Germany and the UK
• Research assistant for institutions in South Africa, Germany and Tanzania
• Extensive research and scientific writing skills
Tourism & Travel:
• Frontline positions in the sailing charter and hotel industries (Turkey, Canada)
• Extensive travel experience as a private tourist
• Qualifications as coastal sailing yacht skipper (Germany) and dinghy sailing instructor (UK)
Food, Nutrition & Gastronomy:
• Client coordinator in upscale catering company (UK)
• Big personal interest in healthy eating and production of foodstuffs
- $25.00 HOURLY RATE
- 70 HOURS
- LAST ACTIVE
0 PORTFOLIO ITEMS