A down-to-earth experienced, efficient translator/proof-reader/editor/transcriptionist (English/French) who has lived in England for over 25 years and started working as a freelance translator/proof-reader and transcriptionist in 1991. Very personable nature with an upbeat and positive
A down-to-earth experienced, efficient translator/proof-reader/editor/transcriptionist (English/French) who has lived in England for over 25 years and started working as a freelance translator/proof-reader and transcriptionist in 1991. Very personable nature with an upbeat and positive personality and a flexible and pro-active approach to work and work colleagues.
• A perfect command of both English and French (mother tongue).
• Linguistic competence of an educated native speaker.
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Translation of English/French and French/English documents.
• Proofreading. Copy-editing. Copy-writing.
• Websites localisation.
• Team orientated and able to relate well to people at all levels.
• Ability and motivation to work to tight deadlines.
• Ability to work and use discretion with confidential information.
• Computer literate (Babylon 8; Translation Workspace; Similis; Reverso; Microsoft Office)
• Efficient keyboard skills – 60 wpm.
Fields of Expertise
• Translation: substantial experience with topics such as market research, marketing, business/e-business, environment/climate change/green technology, biology, healthcare/science, corporate finance/banking/emerging markets, company tax return, legal (birth/death/marriage certificates; contracts; civil law, legal aid, immigration law, family law, employment law, personal injury law, human rights law), politics, community & society, government & politics, public relations, retail, food & drink, advertising, public relations, journalism, culture, multimedia, tourism/travel, sports, leisure, instruction manuals, wine.
• Website/software localisation. Can work directly into Html files (rather than translating text extracted from website into Word/Excel). Translation of all menus, submenus, links, insertion of html codes for foreign accent/formatting characters e.g. bold/italics, proofreading and final editing of the content in html files including checking all foreign accents in place, etc. Icons and photos can also be localised on request. The final document is an html file identical to original but translated into French/English/Russian/Arabic.
• Proof-reading and editing: Directly involved in the publication of six prestigious books on wine. This involved, amongst other things, research, checking sources, proofreading, editing and liaising with typesetters, printers and customers. Worked in close collaboration with long-established British and American publishers (Weidenfeld & Nicolson (Cassell), Mitchell Beazley, the University of California Press...); Daily preparation of articles and monthly magazine
• Transcription/Translation: Transcription/translation of French/English documents and audio files into English/French for The Elizabeth Higgins Group (UK), European Commission via TTI Network (UK), Ronachan Films (documentaries for Channel 4, BBC, ITV….), Orient Script Worldwide (programme for ITV1), BBC and the European Broadcasting Union, InfocusAsia.com (for National Geographic).
• Editing and re-writing of online contents.